Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

@Kylie2 Great idea! Sharing is caring! and often we can learn some new ways/ideas from others lived experiences! 

It's funny because for me, self care can be doing my sewing or something, which I try to do as I like to quilt.  BUT also it's helping others away from the home - I'm a cub scout leader and I really find that helps me a lot, surprisingly.

@Former-Member wrote:

Alright crew massively energetic start! Thanks so much for the thoughts all and of course our wonderful guest Julia from @eheadspace  your insight is incredibly valuable.

Discussion point 2....

What are the first signs that we might be experiencing our own “Compassion Fatigue” whilst helping a mate/loved one who are leaning on us for support?

When I want to ignore texts from my friend, I realise that's "compassion fatigue" and I need to do something to rest, and rejuvenate myself

Sorry about this @Adge  I know it's so frustrating, just need to watch those methods. Your narrative is important to us Heart And we do believe you will have a lot of insight into supporting yourself alongside others.

@greenspace Yes! thanks for sharing that point! 

My further contribution to tonight's discussion - depended on my introduction @Former-Member

Therefore without it, I cannot say anything further.

Compassion fatigue - yes, I've had that for several years.

Adge

Absolutely @greenspace - boundaries with our phones is hugely important, and something I think many people actually struggle with. It's hard to stay away from the technology at times when it's so normalised and integrated into our every day life.

@Froggyhawk That's a great balance when you find a self care activity that not only helps you but others! I love that, thanks for sharing that insight 

Yes compassion fatigue!  I didn't know it had a name.  But yeah when I receive a text or phone call from one of them that says like... I'm not coping, or whatever... I actually feel my own anxiety instantly go through the roof.  i realise sometimes that I'm just hoping to get through the day without any negativity

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us