Skip to main content

Opening Hours
Mon - Fri 8.30 am - 4:30pm

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

@Kylie2 Great idea! Sharing is caring! and often we can learn some new ways/ideas from others lived experiences! 

It's funny because for me, self care can be doing my sewing or something, which I try to do as I like to quilt.  BUT also it's helping others away from the home - I'm a cub scout leader and I really find that helps me a lot, surprisingly.

@Former-Member wrote:

Alright crew massively energetic start! Thanks so much for the thoughts all and of course our wonderful guest Julia from @eheadspace  your insight is incredibly valuable.

Discussion point 2....

What are the first signs that we might be experiencing our own “Compassion Fatigue” whilst helping a mate/loved one who are leaning on us for support?

When I want to ignore texts from my friend, I realise that's "compassion fatigue" and I need to do something to rest, and rejuvenate myself

Sorry about this @Adge  I know it's so frustrating, just need to watch those methods. Your narrative is important to us Heart And we do believe you will have a lot of insight into supporting yourself alongside others.

@greenspace Yes! thanks for sharing that point! 

My further contribution to tonight's discussion - depended on my introduction @Former-Member

Therefore without it, I cannot say anything further.

Compassion fatigue - yes, I've had that for several years.

Adge

Absolutely @greenspace - boundaries with our phones is hugely important, and something I think many people actually struggle with. It's hard to stay away from the technology at times when it's so normalised and integrated into our every day life.

@Froggyhawk That's a great balance when you find a self care activity that not only helps you but others! I love that, thanks for sharing that insight 

Yes compassion fatigue!  I didn't know it had a name.  But yeah when I receive a text or phone call from one of them that says like... I'm not coping, or whatever... I actually feel my own anxiety instantly go through the roof.  i realise sometimes that I'm just hoping to get through the day without any negativity

Search Mental Health Carers NSW