Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: The really important things that new moderators need to know

Hi @Former-Member, don't think I have meet you yet so nice to meet you😀 I class myself as a bit of a science nerd. I teach science (and maths) to secondary students. Most don't seem to share my enthusiasm for it😃😃

YAY a fellow science nerd!!!!
Hi @Former-Member! Teaching science sounds like lots of fun and lots of frustration at the same time!!!
What's your favourite science 'fact'?
My favourite experiment is to float plates in the dish washing water to so slowly drip a drop or two of dishwashing liquid into the water and watch the plate suddenly sink as the surface tension of the water falls. Makes me smile every time I do the dishes.

Oooh oooh ...... das me ..... ❣️

I love showing the kids A colour symphony experiment @Former-Member

Where you pour milk into a tray, put in food colouring and and liquid soap to the dish and see what happens to the food colouring. So when you use the soap it breaks down the fat in the milk causing the colours to scatter and mix creating a cool colourful display. Supper easy but effective!

@Former-Member..... I may be trying that with soy milk when I get home tonight!!!!

😊 💜 💚 💙 💛 ❤️

I am not the biggest of science nerds, but I did have a Grandpa that was a scientist and he taught me lots of cool things about erosion haha! Oh and I believe your name means 'Serotonin' I did have a little help with that one I must admit 😉 @Former-Member

❤️ @Former-Member

@Former-MemberIt might not work with soy milk becasue it needs the fat in the milk. Best result is to use full cream milkSmiley Happy

It's actually a common misbelief that soy milk has less fat than cows milk. They both contain roughly 2-4% fat, depending on season and brand.
Soy milk contains no saturated fat which is why some people believe it is healthier..... which I disagree with. But cows milk contains lactose... which I definitely disagree with!!! (doesn't stop me eating ice cream though!!!)

Good evening 

@MummaMia @Lunar @Pebbles @Rockpool @Amour_Et_Psyché @Chamomile @River9 @Scout @NikNik @Lauz @suzanne @Froginthepond

I am superly duperly excited that I've managed to drag encourage some of you over to The Great Yoga Adventure thread. I noticed that @Chamomile and @River9 were asking questions about it, so I figured that this must be another really important thing that new moderators need to know. Smiley Very Happy

The great yoga adventure started back in July when @CheerBear and I decided to venture into the brave new world of yoga classes together but not. I had been wanting to go to a class for a super long time but was too scared. Doing it together but not with Cheerbear made it a bit less scary. 

So...if you look at the beginning of the thread, there are several pages of CheerBear and I figuring out what the heck people wear to yoga classes. Happily for me, @Lunar and @Rockpool had already answered my question about whether people wear underpants under yoga pants. Yes, that really was one of the reasons I'd been scared of going to a class - I didn't know what the social protocol was around underpants and yoga pants. Smiley Very Happy

One of the big questions was whether people wear socks in yoga classes. We never totally decided on an answer so I thought I'd better buy some new socks just in case. I found some superly duperly awesome ones in Big W. They are black with bright yellow ducks on them. When I told CheerBear about them, she went and bought the same socks so that we could wear them together but not to our respective classes. I reckon it is super cool to think that our duck socks were probably hanging out together at the duck sock factory. As an aside, I love my duck socks so much, I may possibly have gone back to Big W and bought every pair they had in my size. Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, CheerBear and I survived our first class and we have been yoga-ing ever since. @soul also got inspired to join a class and she seems to have become mildly addicted, going to a class pretty much every day. Smiley Very Happy

On the great yoga adventure thread we do a pose-a-week challenge, where the goal is to do the pose every day for the week. There are no rules about how long you need to do it for or anything. You simply do it. Tree pose seemed to be a particular favourite and some people just keep doing that one every week...and that's ok. Smiley Happy

Thus far we have filled up Forum Land with trees, warriors, happy babies, mountains, dogs, pigeons, eagles, and bridges (I think that's it). I would super love to see you in our yoga group. Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us