Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Rick
Senior Contributor

Re: Music

An excellent enqiry. of course it's obvious that mood can be influence by music.  but is there any data?

Leave it with I'll do some research. I'm sure that this has been explored or music therapy would'nt have any place in the pantheopn of therapeutic methods.

I'll find some research review links and post them here to read.

Any chance to find out more.....

Hope does that thing

Rick

peace
Senior Contributor

Music is another art form that taps into our emotions, helping us to express our feelings. Especially when words can be so inadequate. It is especially cathartic for those pent up frustrating ones. Thus Heavy Metal!
I have heard that music can improve ones mood by at least 9%. @Rick I would be interested in knowing what you find out,
Rick
Senior Contributor

@kato 

Hi Kato, hoping your day is going well.

There was an enormous amount of data available from just over 400 research papers regarding the neural, psychological, and phyiological effects of music.

I'd just like to add that I am no scientist. My understanding of any data is surely a laymans interpretation and not to be given the weight that a professional in the field would have.

Having said that......

Music therapy is used in correcting dyslexia, spatial co-ordination, speech difficulties and has beneficial effects on mood, anxiety, physical pain, paranoia,stress from terminal disease and strangley ear infections.

There appear to be issues around music listening and elevated mood. Since this is the issue you seem to be concerned about, I would Hazard to say that there is some evidence that listening to music as one goes to sleep can overstimulate certain brain functions in some people. The choice of music appears to have an effect phsiologically which then can be transferred neurologically. 

Though so far I've not been able to find a link for music listening and negative impact on mania I think it might well be safe to err on the side of caution. 

If types music can elevate mood as has been confirmed one might assume that it may elevate a manic mood. In the studies I read the precursor was Type of music. I think this may be important. 

Driving, upbeat music elevates mood. It might be fair to say the same music could elevate a manic mood.

There is evidence to say that less intense music has a calming affect on mood (Anxiety, stress fear).

I would conclude from this that a more calming music would have a calming effect on elevated mood symptoms.

Below is an article which also supplies many references regarding it's conclusions. I read many of them and from this I have made some guesses.

I hope it helps

Take care Kato

Rick

http://www.emedexpert.com/tips/music.shtml

Also many teachers will use music to set tone for their class, music to get the sillies out and music to concentrate the brain...and it is based on research but I can't tell you where, when or who researched it..
There's a great quote around change, to change the mood you need to change the music..I will try and hunt the exact quote down for you as I think it is in one of my books at home!
kato
Senior Contributor

Apologies apolgies apologies

I did get rather side tracked this week, and have neglected posts, @Rick  the dude with the know how Smiley Happy

Thank you for all your effort that you have gone to with this question i have found it very interesting what you have come up with, i am so computer illiterate, i get distracted also, so when i go to look stuff up myself i end up side tracked and forgetting what i was looking for....... i end up on you tube watching conspiracy theories etc......

I have taken your thoughts on board, and have changed to more mellow music in the evenings, or none at all... altho for some reason i still need to have my headphones on...... some kind of coping mechanism associated with music and stress.... perhaps a habit i have formed from usuing it as a aide in easing my stress as of late....

Thank you for the link, i am going to look at it tonight, as i mentioned in another post, my mood has bounced back gah i really need to get some reins onto the bouyancy of it, i am going to speak quite frankly to my psychologist regarding this next week, i will see what my new psychiatrist wants to talk about before bringing it up with him, as it will be our first session.

so once again Thank you rick

I see this is a bit of an old thread, but just thought I'd let you all know that tonights Topic Tuesday is on music therapy. You can join us here from 7pm (half an hour away!) to chat some more about music and ask questions of our special guest, registered music therapisty Lisa-Marie.

I have many fingers and maybe even toes crossed .... that the magic of music therapy works.

Zam
Senior Contributor

I would be lost without music. I listen to music most of the time. When I leave my house to go food shopping or anything when I'm alone, I listen to music on phone and headphones to block everything else out..

when I was hospitalised they took away my iPod, MP3 player and phone.. Did not go very well. I can't cope without music

i listen to all sorts of music. Some of my fave bands and so on is Mötley Crüe, pink floyd, wardruna, slipknot, nirvana, disturbed, Beethoven. I could go on and on 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@JohnS @JohnS this is an old thread, but looks like a goodie 🙂

greenpea
Senior Contributor

Discovered this great old song by Depeche Mode 'Walking in my Shoes' I was wondering if anyone else had a favourite song they would like to share?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us