Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Music

Best thing about the internet for me is YouTube videos of music! Reliving my past..try some Akan Parsons Project or Hawkeind for a definitive non punk vibe! Mind you, I can't figure out if New Order were semi post punk? And Patti Smith. Wow. Not punk but punk!
Ellie
Senior Contributor

I know this is an old post, but music is a fun topic (plus, I'm new here Woman Very Happy)

I was in my early teens when I first fell in love with The Beatles, then I heard Jim Morrison screaming out "Touch Me" and I fell in love all over again, but when I heard Mick Taylor's melodic guitar solos, I became infatuated with the Rolling Stones and that's never left me. I still love them!

But, I'm not totally against modern music either. I do like Pink and especially her song Perfect. Yes, it has a naughty word in front of it, but when I'm feeling really down and wanting to SH then this song pulls me back to reality. The film clip is even better.

I also play a little guitar, but only to amuse myself. I have a fine electric one and an amp that can cause a wall to move Cat LOL

NikNik
Senior Contributor

I love the Beatles too @Ellie 

Have you heard Eddie Vedder's version of You've Got to Hide Your Love Away - I love it 🙂

Ellie
Senior Contributor

No I haven't and will do so as soon as I get a sound card for this computer. The on-board one in it doesn't seem to want to play with Windows 8.1, so I've ordered another one. Probably won't be until next week now, but will definitely have a listen ASAP.

NikNik
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure what type of phone you have, but you can also access the forums from smartphones - so if you're keen to listen to it, you can just connect through your mobile 🙂

Regardless, looking forward to hearing what you think

Ellie
Senior Contributor

I do have a smart phone, but it's too "smart" for me. It's a pre-paid and I only put $20 a month on it as I most use it for texting (very limited signal where I live) or as an emergency phone for the car as I live 30 minutes away from work. The phone, plus a recognised roadside assist company give me a little peace of mind, however playing anything much on my phone is pretty much off limits as it chews through the prepaid money at $2 per MB Cat Sad

My new sound card should arrive by the end of the week or early next week, so I'll definitely have a listen and let you know what I think. I love to explore other people's musicWoman Happy

Ellie
Senior Contributor

My dear Rick. I thought long and hard about whether or not I should reply to your post. I read it once, twice...... then I burst into tears. What an amazing talent you have and yet the things that have happened in your life means you no longer want to have anyhting to do with music. How very sad. If only I had as much talent in my whole body as you have in your little finger.

I've had a guitar of one sort or another in my hands since I was 16. Probably already too late to take it up by then anyway, but I was living rural remote and just didn't know how to learn how to play. There was nobody around to show me or jam with. Yeah, I learned a few cords and could swap them around failry easily, but I never really got anywhere. I was also too messed up. I loved guitar one day and sold it the next saying that I hated the things! I've spent lots of cold, hard cash on electric guitars over the years. I dreamed of getting a band together, but I was too unsettled to really make a go of it. I wrote songs that nobody would ever get to hear......... then burned them when I was in one of my "moods!"

The last electric guitar I bought is still with me. I'd sold a 1968 Gibson SG in perfect condition for a grand (yeah, I know) just a few years ago and missed it almost immediately. I waited a couple of years until the interest grew again and bought a 1990 Fender Stratocaster Plus with a beautiful action and Kinman pups. I sometimes plug it into my Fender 100Wt twin reverb amp and make the walls move, but I know my time has come and gone. Damn it though. This time I'm not going to sell that strat.

Sometimes when I'm bored and feeling down, I drag it out and mess around with it and wonder what could have been, but that makes me even sadder and reminds me of a life totally wasted.

Rick, I truly hope that one day you hit your stride again and reconnect with your music. I hear what you're saying, but please try. If I heard you'd picked up a guitar again, then you'd make me a very happy person indeed.

Ellie.

kato
Senior Contributor

@Alessandra1992 

just for you Sandy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McooXVFA1BM

toy story - you've got a friend in me Smiley Very Happy

Thanks @kato.. You've got a friend in me!!
kato
Senior Contributor

Hi everyone 🙂

Has anyone seen any research into music and it's affects on mood.

I love my music it seems to be able to keep me grounded or places my mood in a good place, i was wondering if there are any links to music and the psyche???

i also find that if i don't monitor my mood i can get myself very manic or very depressed with just listening to certain styles of music, can anyone else relate or is it just me?

i am currently feeling quite edgy and hyped, so i am playing my mellow mix and hoping my mood will cycle down...... Last time i got like this it took me a couple of days to cycle down, and i was wondering if maybe i shouldn't listen to certain music....... no idea just seeing if someone has similar expierence or if it is just me

Thank you

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us