Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: SPRING-Clean Declutter - Need Help

@Former-Member, with our daughter being "at risk", the thought of what would I do if I had to empty her share of belonging out in such a final way has crossed my mind. I'm somehow not surprised that your girl's room is still in waiting. Smiley Sad

Sometimes bringing something good out of something hard seems to help. Perhaps if, once you've selected any mementos that you really want to keep, some of her things could be donated to an emergency accomodation unit or similar? In our local area there's a group that collects new and good condition second hand clothing, necessities and soft toys, to make up parcels for mums and their children who've gone to a women's refuge with nothing but the clothes on their backs. Our church did a fundraiser for them, and encouraged everyone to also donate nightwear. I found some nice boys' dressing gowns and slippers, and put a small soft toy in the pocket of each dressing gown.

It's something extremely personal, so I expect you will only take up my suggestion if it feels right to you.

Just read your post Smc, been so flat out today, and I don't mean horizontal lol. 

That's a couple of good suggestions for these clocks thanks. Always forget to refer to Phone BooksBooks these days and never heard of "steampunk style accessories" - wow! One of those have gotta want them. One clock actually ticks for a little while 🙂 

@Former-Member, Steampunk. Think Victoriana crossed with science fiction. Jules Verne/H.G. Wells novels come to life...

steampunk hat.jpgsteampunk pendant.jpgsteampunk.jpg

THIS IS ONE OF THE CLOCKSTHIS IS ONE OF THE CLOCKS

So weird @Smc, that Steampunk stuff. I did google it.  But also, good news, I got onto yellow pages last night and emailed 1/2doz clock makers / repairs and already today x2 of them have got back to me. This is good, they'll be put to good use. Mum looking on shouldn't protest to that too. Saying 'landfill' if they don't want them so that would push the clockmaker's buttons lol Will keep you posted xox

Apologies for the edits @SmcSmc, worried it might be a bit confronting, sad and off topic. Hope that's ok xox

@Former-Member, it was all OK with me- I appreciate it that you care. Possibly was a bit off topic for the thread.

Briefly, our daughter knows that we want her to keep fighting, and knows that we care about her. If you want to be "in the loop" I could tag you into my thread on the carers' forum, but only "if". It can all get a bit TMI sometimes, and you have to take care of yourself too. Heart

Glad that it sounds like the collection of clocks will get a new home. Mantle clocks like the one in your photo are often really good, and once serviced, find new owners pretty quickly.

I'M IN A QUANDRY 😞
- a dilemma
- atate of uncertainty,
- a state of perplexity
- a muddle
- mixed up
- confusion
- an impasse
- a difficult situation
- a practical dilemma

1. Folding up my life to end, then
2. Then planning a workable future - buying that unit
3. BUT a couple nights ago a Friend rang (my previous visiting critic up north). She slammed the idea of buying the 2BR unit:
VC - "Its too quiet a town...
ME - " Probably only for 2 years"
VC - "if thats the case - you'll never sell it gain"
ME - it would be good for me to have the security and a place to store my stuff 'till things with dad play out. A place I can go to retreat from the nasty siblings, a place to rest... to grieve safely...
VC - why don't you just get rid of all your stuff, buy new things!
ME - well, guess I could rent, somewhere, Invest my money, somewhere (in an unstable global economy)...
VC - what about Centrelink, what will they let you do? They'll come down heavy on you. Especially if you rent. 
ME - I need to make apt with C'link financial advisor about where I stand, but there are regulations to protect me if I put the money in my own home... or I could give it to my son...
VC - don't give it to your son, he's fine... ... ... ...
I've been flat ever since. Not sure of what to do.

My Brisbane friend thinks giving it all to son is a GREAT idea.

These are my so called 'friends' - they seem to be saying "YOUR LIFE IS OVER, YOU HAVE NO FUTURE" 😞
Its confused me again, after being excited about my affordable brick unit. Does God want me to leave, it feels like its soon. How do we know?

Some are saying what blackdog (or reality) is saying - and I'm trying to fight it. Maybe God wants me to sever all earth connections, and it frightens me. Am I strong enough to do it, not have a home basebase?... It just makes me want to freeze over. Am I suppose to be alone, or live with the people, get involved... No, that won't work - people don't like me, my MI melancholy, divorced older woman, my difficult family, my faith, my big bum... I don't think I want to be with people anymore, or have anything they want, not in a dependable meaningful way.
People = Pain. Eventually, or leave anyway. 
I'm mixed up.

Gotta get off the fence, pick a goal & just go there. 
So much uncertainty on the inside and out. 

This calls for a moment of
PRESENT MOMENT THINKING

back l8tr

@Former-Member, a small town, the real estate market is likely to be slower moving than a city. That has its plusses and minuses. If you needed to move again in a couple of years, a slow-to-sell property could mean assets tied up. But I agree that the security of an owned place and the "time out" could certainly be good for you, and "slow market" properties tend to be more affordable.

You're working on several people's "stuff" at one time, and it's hard making that many decisions, particularly when they're emotionally charged. (Ooooh don't I know how that feels!) You are making progress though. Don't lose sight of that.

@Former-Member there will always be critics, the unit may not be VC's cup of tea, but if it is what you can afford and it is enough for you, that is what counts. 

Here at the Darcy residence,  tge slow but steady clean up continues. We made a bit of progress in the shed, wheelie bin full and put out ready for tomorrow's collection. Plan on ringing a mate to see if they will bring their trailer round and take a load to the tip before our front yard becomes unsightly. 

Managed to get a bit more cleaning done inside too. Short notice for some unexpected visitors resulted in a quick dust and vacuum but not the panic I used to have.

Thank you @Smc, and @Former-Member, needed that. And where's my @Fsith-and-hope & @Owlunar & @Appleblossom... I value all your opinions.
I'm on the edge of a panic attack atm, just booked dad into respite and, flying up to sort my house Thursday, yikes!
Will talk on carer's side more, DDDad thread. Pray for me.
Just organised & met a lady to come feed the dogs for me.

Congrats on all your progress there, take care xox
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us