Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

@Former-Member wrote:

Absolutely @greenspace - boundaries with our phones is hugely important, and something I think many people actually struggle with. It's hard to stay away from the technology at times when it's so normalised and integrated into our every day life.

Using my phone is often a form of self-care, though. My sister and I send each other cute stickers in Messenger, and I read online articles about things that interest me. I take occasional breaks from screen time, but mostly I find my phone a good thing. 

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

I am liking this term compassion fatigure, I agree with what you say about it being a relief instead of feeling like i am insensitive.  I'm going to investigate that term further thank you

I like your perspective because ppl often view phones negatively. So I guess it depends on how you use it

Hi everyone.

Here's a new version of what I was trying to communicate (at the start of discussion).

I work with people who have intellectual & physical disabilities.

Many are non-verbal.

Many have "challenging behaviours".

I am physically assaulted at least weekly.

Working with these people is very draining, even after a short shift.

I have complex PTSD from childhood (& young adulthood) - which is triggered or made worse, working with these people.

Adge

bout early warning signs we may be becoming compassion fatigued @greenspace .
@Former-Member 

Super impressed by all of your input, and really good energy tonight @Froggyhawk  @greenspace  @eth  @Shaz51  and others 😄

Onto Discussion Point 3!

Sometimes when we take on too much of someone else’s challenges whilst managing our own, we may experience varying side effects such as irritability, chronic exhaustion and sometimes even trouble sleeping.

What are some initial strategies in managing the dual role of self-recovery whilst supporting someone else’s?

@eheadspace 

Great point @Shakeelah25 

Thanks so much for reposting @Adge !

Do you get much support at your work? Debriefing? Reflective breaks? Sometimes these things can help, but I know each employer can be a bit different. I hope you find some nice strategies in this chat tonight Heart

@Shaz51 wrote:

ohhh @Adge  HeartHeart

Pease explain @eheadspace .@greenspace 

I don't know, @Shaz51 , I'm not a moderator 

@Froggyhawk  So glad to hear, there's quite a lot about it online! It's a very real thing, and quite common. Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us