Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

hey @Adge that is great, and reminds me that I want to get back to doing yoga classes and a home practice. 

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

I agree sleep hygeine is so important.  I struggle with sleep since hitting 40.  My hubby doesn't respect my need for proper sleep hygeine and brings a laptop to bed, munches on noisy snacks etc.  If I say something it will stop for a couple of days and then back to it.  I think with things like that I can get resentful and it makes me want to help him less.  He doesn't seem to be able to consider me or what I need.  I never know what of it is his depression and what is just him.

@Froggyhawk I can imagine it is so tough to find time for YOU when you managing a family and supporting your husband ... we are actually going to talk more about how to exercise loving boudaries soon in the forum so stay tuned...

Yes, support from a psychologist is helpful. She is a private practice Clinical psych.

However, it is primarily for working on recovering from childhood abuse (& CPTSD).

So when appointments are dominated by my work stress (or issues) - that is taking away from the primary purpose (& what I'm paying full fees for).

Adge

@Shakeelah25  Young person suggestions are encouraged plz! What do you find to be the most challenging aspect of implementing a "stern" boundary with your mates/loved ones?

@Shakeelah25  we are going to talk about how to exercise loving boundaries shortly so stay tuned!  thanks for your contribution tonight! 

Hey @Froggyhawk for many years I set an alarm and got up 2 hours before everyone else's day started.  That was the only way I could have time just for me.   It wouldn't work for everyone but it did for me.  I found that time of day really clear and peaceful, and I felt more able to be 'on' for others if I had that awake time alone.  

Excellent @greenspace We are supposed to be doing our own yoga home-practice (my classmates & I).

No-one does (they say) - we all rely on going to classes.

Adge

i like that idea

Alright all! Time is slipping away from us. Our second last discussion point of the night 🙂 Heart  @Froggyhawk  @Adge @eth @greenspace  and so on 

Following on from the previous question, sometimes instigating boundaries can feel really cold when a loved one is struggling.

What are some ways we can exercise loving boundaries to ensure that we aren’t adversely affected whilst supporting ourselves and those we care about?

@eheadspace 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us