Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

Hi @Adge  thanks for sharing your experience tonight. Really glad to hear that you have the support of a psychologist and that you are proactive in using support lines - you are utlising a support system that is designed for this very thing- To Support You! 

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

@Froggyhawk 

Hey, that happens to me too. That's why I only talk to professionals about the heavy stuff because they are more able to handle it and undhmy feelings. And they dont show, or least try not to show, any frustrations by talking about the same issues bec6they know how deeply it impacts me

That is one of the trickier parts of living with mental illness @Froggyhawk  This is where support groups and online communities can be super amazing because we all share lived experience 🙂

I've been doing 2 yoga classes every week, for the past 8 years.

That helps too.

My psychologist was the one who first encouraged me to try yoga.

Several yoga teachers told me that they first started doing yoga (as students) - to help them to manage their anxiety.

Adge

@eheadspace @Former-Member  I would add getting some exercise if possible to the list of health-oriented self-care methods.  I do water tai chi twice a week and it really takes my mind off everything outside the pool for 1/2 hour.  Whatever is possible.  When I was house-bound and caring 24/7 I used to do laps of the corridor!

Spending a little time, even 5 minutes, outside is really good too.

I do think that sleep management is pretty much the most important thing.  I have learned about 'sleep hygeine' as it's called (something else you can google, there's heaps online about it).  I still have very broken sleep but enough overall since I stopped all 'blue screen' activities between 10pm and 6am (phone and computer).  I get back to sleep much faster instead of coming online or on the phone and going 'down the rabbit hole' for hours.

@Adge amazing! 

Even just now i had my son walk in wanting me to do stuff for him.  My family don't respect my need for time out for self care. They think I am always available.  i am when it counts but I need space. How do i manage that?

Yoga is quite incredible! Anything integrating body and mind if a winner @Adge  Thank you for sharing 🙂 

@eth  wonderful insights, sleep management is also a key notion that tends to get de-prioritised. Especially important for young people to consider.

@eth thanks for sharing your insight... love all those sugestions and so very important about the sleep management stuff! : )

Maybe being more stern with your boundaries? Especially if you're the parent? Idk because I'm a young person so its just a suggestion. I wouldn't know what its like on the other end lol
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us