Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

Valuing and prioritising self care is really important here and even more important when we are starting to feel the impact of caring for others.

Getting enough sleep, staying hydrated, good nutrition and some exercise if you can, are all important pillars that make up good self care practices and can hold us in good stead when we need the energy to continue caring for others.

When I start to feel myself becoming depleted from work or caring for a loved one in my personal life, I try to pay extra attention to what I am putting in my body, so I try to increase my fruit and vegetable intake, make sure I’m drinking enough water. It’s also important to limit alcohol/drugs as this can lead to increased energy and a clearer mind, making it easier to work out what you need to do to maintain your recovery.

I have also found mindfulness and grounding techniques can help with those overwhelming /big feelings that can consume us during moments of increased stress.

I know it might feel daunting to attend to our own self care when we are feeling exhausted from caring for others and managing complex mental health issues, so starting with small things that feel achievable is important, everyone’s “small , manageable goals” will  look different but for me this may look like going for a walk around the block, drinking a glass of water, having a cup of herbal tea and just breathing all go a long way.

Share the load, reach out to your own support network, you aren’t expected to be able to be everything for your loved one/mate, there are parts of their recovery that need to be attended to by others like other people in their life and mental health professionals.

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

No @Former-Member No lunch break, either.

I rely on my psychologist appointments, & use of phone support lines - for any support or debriefing.

Adge

Well, I spent most of today writing job application for my depressed hubby who is hating his work (primary teacher - lots of bad kids).  I saw it as something proactive I can do to help him, but if i am helping him then i am also helping me, if that makes sense?  But, i do realise when i am doing that and i try to give myself a break.  Tonight i thought I would try this forum and schedule it in.  He has gone out to some other thing but if he was home i probably wouldn't take the time.

@Froggyhawk  makes total sense, I am glad you took the time to log on tonight! 

@Adge  Gosh you do some amazing work.. That is quite incredible, you're a very resilient person no doubt. I am very glad you're linked in with a psychologist, much needed maintenance in that sort of frontline work Heart

Sometimes when i try to share the load and reach out to friends, I find they don't respond any more, as if they are sick of me dealing with these issues and they don't want to hear.  They don't have these things in their own lives.

I have done a Mindfulness course.

I do daily meditations - which include mindfulness & focus on my breathing.

I've been doing these for 8 years or so.

Meditations & focused breathing exercises help to improve my mood, re-focus my tired thinking.

They help to "Ground me" (as they say).

Adge

@Shaz51 wrote:

bout early warning signs we may be becoming compassion fatigued @greenspace .
@Former-Member 

Hey @Shaz51,  A few people have described their warning signs of compassion fatigue -- have a look at what @Kylie2, @Froggyhawk, @Shakeela and @eth  said about it

@Froggyhawk  Makes a lot of sense, helps both of you long-term. Very well done to you on being so self-aware and resilient throughout the process. Our carers forum has a lot of good resource too if you ever need ongoing online peer support 🙂 

Sometimes when i try to share the load and reach out to friends, I find they don't respond any more, as if they are sick of me dealing with these issues and they don't want to hear.  They don't have these things in their own lives.

@Adge I would like to find time for mindfulness.  I admire your strength as your job is very important but it must be so hard to keep your own emotions in check.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us