Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our stories

Princessmolly
Senior Contributor

Book club

What books are you currently reading that you find interesting? I havent read anything but parenting books and self help books for two years lol. The last "book" and i use that term loosley was 50 shades of gray ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚thinking of trying to get through a book a fortnight. Have a kindle so access isnt an issue.
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Book club

At the moment ... "Last painting of Sara de Vos" but also Sofie Laguna ... "The Eye of the Sheep" Stedman ... "The light between the oceans" and novels by Peter Goldsworthy and Carrie Tiffany

I love reading !! Atm Im reading Sweet Dates of Basra by Jessica Jiji. I find books set in different countries very interesting
Former-Member
Not applicable

hi @Princessmolly

great idea to start a book club, i havent really read anything for 'me' for ages (no concentration!) but have been reading a chapter of the BFG to my daughter at night, shes loved it. we saw the movie at the last school holidays and its been nice to read it with her. 

I want to get into reading again though, i'll keep an eye out for what others are reading

@Faith-and-Hope @Shaz51 @PeppiPatty @Jacques @Angels333 Are you guys reading anything at the moment?

LJ

Hi @Former-Member, so nice to still see you around the forums, hugs my friend. ๐Ÿ™‚

I am reading the secret symbol it is about the history of the masons, I struggle with concentration too, can only manage a page every now and again, so frustrating.

Take care, be safe

Jacques

Hi Everybody .... ๐Ÿ˜Š

Thanks for the shout-out @Former-Member ... โฃ

I am sort of reading The Land of the Painted Caves by Jean M Auel .... I say sort of because I am struggling to concentrate on it .... not because I am not interested.  Events over the last few years have left me so spun around I just haven't found myself settled enough to just enjoy reading.

I have achieved a few paintings in the last couple of years, but my creativity is being affected too.  It's hard to find the heart-song I need to listen to from within to make the magic happen on the canvas .... it will come back tho .... it's just resting ....

Anyway ... this is a book series based in historical fact as far as we know it, but the characters and actual events depicted are fictional.  It is set in prehistoric Europe at a time when the Cro-Magnon people were supposedly interacting with Neanderthals, and demonstrates their way of life in detail.  

I didn't know you could boil water in a container not suitable to go over a fire (tightly woven basket) by adding hot stones, one after another, removing the one before it, until the water reaches boiling point and actually boils ....

Just a piece of trivia for ya .... but interesting .... ๐Ÿ˜Š

@Princessmolly Love this thread, I'm a massive reader and have thought for a long time how cool a book club would be.

I recently read Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (theres a movie but it's terrible) then the one after that is called, After You. I really enjoyed those.

Currently reading What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty, she is an Australian author so her stuff is quite relatable. I also just finished one by her called The Husbands Secret, it was really good she seems to write books that get you hooked and wanting to know what's going to happen desperately enough to stay awake much later than you should lol.

If you like non fiction, there is a couple of foster carers in the UK who write stories about children they've cared for, I love them. Casey Watson and Cathy Glass.

I have found over the last 6 months reading has really helped me to calm myself and I can switch off from the world a bit. Interested to know if you find another good one ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for the shout-out @Former-Member xx

Does "Better Homes and Gardens " count

Hello @ThirtyOne, @Princessmolly, @Faith-and-Hope, @Jacques, @PeppiPatty

I must get this @Bridgetjones

Dearest @ThirtyOne

What a beautiful photo on your profile......

Hi @Shaz51 and thank you for mentioning me. I've been very very upset and havent been able to get online because both my husband is in hosital and has been ill and my son has been struggling. 

is @Mazarita around? 

I have heaps of books on my online Booko account to get but my favourite of all time authors are:

Diana Wynne Jones ( Positive she has had Psychotherapy to have written such wonderful novels) 

Ruth Rendell

Anne Tyler. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carerโ€™s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us