Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Shaz51
Community Guide

9 things NOT to say to someone who is a carer--- Teaching others what to say

Hello Everyone HeartHeart

1) “I don’t know how you do it.” 

2) “I sure wouldn’t want to deal with what you have to.” –

3) “You’re just a caregiver, you don’t have a real job?” 

4) Everything happens for a reason and God doesn’t give us more than we can handle’

23 REPLIES 23

Re: 9 things NOT to say to someone who is a carer--- Teaching others what to say

Good morning @Former-Member , @ivana

what are some of the things that you have heard

Hello @denial, @Former-Member, @Faith-and-Hope, @PeppiPatty, @Appleblossom, @Anony18

Re: 9 things NOT to say to someone who is a carer--- Teaching others what to say

I get really upset when I am asked why I don't leave my husband instead of caring for him.

Hi @Former-Member 

yes I agree, it is very upsetting xx

Hi @Shaz51

@Former-Member mention one I hear all the time. Other ones are:

You are so patient I would have left him ages ago if I were you.

Why put yourself through this?

If he likes you he will want to see you and talk to you everyday

I can see why his ex cheated on him. I would have if I were you.

Uuuughhh .. they are all horrible

the one about god not giving us things we cant handle .. is red rag to a bull with me now ..

One recent one was a CAT team worker .. who put the blame for my episode all on my son.

A counsellor about 5 years ago .. told me that I blame my son for everything .. on the first visit .. she didnt even know half my story and NO I HAD NOT and DO NOT blame my son   . or my mother .. or my brother .. or my ex ..for the tragedies in my family. I see it as due to multiple causes .. is it all my fault cos I am the common denominator .. I know I am just not that important and influential ..

and done the research on child development and mental health... but sadly only after I had given my self a big headache .. silly me

Uuuughhh .. they are all horrible

I totally agree @Appleblossom

there is another one --- "why did you marry him " if you knew he has a MI "

This is the one that sticks in my throat: "I can recommend a good exorcist for you."

Oh @perseverer - that is shocking! 

@Anony18 It was said in a staff meeting at my school (I am a teacher) in the presence of my colleagues and three priests, all of whom declined to comment during or afterwards. I was left to feel that everyone there who heard it agreed with the comment.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us