Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

artee
Senior Contributor

What do you do for "me" time?

I struggle with managing more than literally five minutes alone in a day. I'm followed from room to room, and I'm isolated, socially and physically due to arthritis, but I wonder what others do for "me" time. I need to start being stronger and demand my own time. I feel like "me" has been lost and buried. It's almost impossible for me to go anywhere alone, he insists on coming. I can't even go to the shops without him attached. There are massive boundary issues, but I've discussed that previously.

And if anyone else feels exhausted, what do you get to do to rejuvenate?

This is more about what's going on if you need to know http://saneforums.org/t5/Looking-after-ourselves/How-do-you-enforce-boundaries/m-p/36381#M1064

37 REPLIES 37

Re: What do you do for "me" time?

Artee,

i read through your past posts and their replies. Im very sorry to read your story. I think speaking to a centrelink case worker is a good start to look at your housing situation and to also look into what other supports may be in your area.

Things/ ideas to pass alone time with arthritis could be:

reading

touch screen games ( their super fun...and some times addictive)

swimming (if you have the transport)

What are your interests now? is their any puzzle games you like or crosswords?

I think you need a good amount of support right now- and seeing a case worker at centrelink or your GP is a very good start.

Baboo

I have been working lately  for "me" space ... ie reclaiming my end of the house ... patiently repeating and explaining when son forgets ...it has been mostly working ... and is better as I can get out of my bedroom.

When my exhusband wanted to go to work in the gulf ... I ended up pulling the plug ... he had not been supportive of me in Australia and I thought going to a foreign country with 2 small children at the time would be disastrous ... so though I liked the idea .. of following my loved one "to the ends of the earth" ... my practical assessment of the situation kicked in. He would have probably had a psychotic episode over there ... anyway ...

Glad to see you posting more. @artee

Keep finding ways to assert your needs. Hope he can settle down.

I like to watch movies on my computer / ipad. Grab some headphones and block out the world 🙂

Hi @artee,

This is a good idea for a thread.

I agee watching movies is good. Especially comedies. I also like to listen to music at the end of the day. I find singing along to music I love very uplifting.

cheers,

carer101.

There a nothing like a bath for down time for me. Close the door, put on a candle, or take in a book. Time out without having to go anywhere.

Hello @Jane9. @artee, @Former-Member, @NikNik, @Appleblossom

there is some great ideas here ,

There a nothing like a bath for down time for me. Close the door, put on a candle, or take in a book. Time out without having to go anywhere. -- this is what i do and I put Epsom Salts in the bath which is very nice

also I think this is a great tread to continue , Calling all carers @Jo, @Former-Member, @Kurra, xx

I love the ideas in here. Unfortunately, being itinerant, mostly in caravan parks, or free camping, baths are an extremely rare thing. And I do love a bath, with epsom salts. Swimming we do when we can.

Still don't have any more than seconds alone. I do play computer games. I don't have arthritis in my hands, luckily, its in my neck and back, which is incredibly restrictive, but even so, I've disovered I can still knit and have been making lots of gifts for others, with increasingly difficult patterns. A top for me is on the list. I have the pattern and the yarn for one and found another vintage pattern for another I want to make too. I'm finding that very rewarding and very meditative too.

Hello @Former-Member, @artee, @Jane9, @NikNik, @Appleblossom, @Former-Member, @Jo, @Kurra

This is a good idea for a thread HeartHeart

One of ¬¬me time ! for me is playing "Words with friends " on the computer

Calling all Carers

Come and Join us with your ideas ,xx

I rarely get time for that person called 'Me' but when I do, I like to walk in the bush and feel myself connect with nature. I also like to write in my journal and play classical CDs or listen to ABC classical radio.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us