Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

pinklollipop15
Community Guide

What are your favourite relaxation techniques?

I am just pondering on what relaxation techniques I like and I thought I would post it up here for some discussion and to see what others like as this may be useful for me or others. 

I have had a rough weekend and anxiety has been quite heightened but today I have chosen to try and relax even though difficult. For me, I have been wanting to go and get a massage for a few months and now that I'm working want to book one in - so hopefully I think it will help me relax and should also help with my circulation fingers crossed. 

I also like to just sit and have a 'peaceful' tea as I call it just being totally present and mindful while drinking my tea (I like English breakfast or Australian Afternoon). 

Would love to hear what others enjoy!
Pinklollipop15

I enjoy meditation every night even though I get too relaxed and fall asleep - usually a guided beach meditation. 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: What are your favourite relaxation techniques?

I like to sit in the sun and have a warm cuppa @pinklollipop15  and do it mindfully. Feel the cup in my hands, the taste of the drink and the warmth in my mouth and throat. Feel the sun on my skin, the breeze, listen to the birds. 
🎀

Hi @pinklollipop15  Mindfully drinking my tea is one of my relaxation techniques as well. I try to incorporate mindfulness into everything I do and it definitely helps. When my anxiety is in override I practice mindful breathing and  face it by really honing in on the physical sensations that arise. I then accept it for what it is, simply a physical sensation. I float with it and just let time pass. This is something I learnt from Dr Claire Weeks. I also like to walk, swim or just sit for 10 minutes with my palms together and focus on something I love like a photo or a flower, clouds, painting any object that brings you joy. We all need to relax more 🙏

Hi there @pinklollipop15 . What a great discussion thread topic! Thanks for starting it up as I can see it being very beneficial for lots of forum members here in the community.

My relaxation techniques are:

- A warm cup of tea

- Doing a Smiling Minds meditation as part of the app

- Picking up a crochet hook and working on a blanket 

- Knitting a beanie as it makes me focus on the pattern

- Listening to relaxing music like ocean or forest sounds via YouTube on my iPhone 

- Lying on my bed and focusing on my breathing and the way my body feels and behaves 

- Just sitting in silence and listening to the world around me

- Getting the pencils out and drawing abstract designs that take my interest and colouring the shspes or design in (I’m definitely not an artist by any means!)!

- Looking at Facebook 

- Write things down in an email or in my phones notes section or on a piece of paper

These are  just some of the things I do to help me relax. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t and I have to step it up with an anxiety  tablet as a last resort which isn’t very often.

Enjoy your night!

Judi9877☺️💐

Hi @Judi9877 

Lots of great ideas there 🙂

Love the sound of the abstract drawing kind of sounds like something I heard of called zentangles even though I've never tried it. 

Hi, At times when my anxiety is out of the box I use some yoga methods like slow long in breath and a slower out breath for example breathing in for a 5 count and out for a 6 count keeping the breath soft not forced. Relaxing the shoulders and face.I sometimes get the guitar out and play along with some utube tracks that I enjoy. Other times I retreat to my shed where I have my classic car and put some Irish music on the Cd. I am caring for my wife who sadly has dementia and there are times when I just don't cope. There is a yoga practice that works very well it is called "Alternate Nostril Breathing". Google it and you will find a lot of information there.

All the best with your struggle! Give yourself a hug from me!

Ho @pinklollipop15 thanks for posting this, relaxation is wonderful and can be difficult at times. I love getting on my motorbike and going for a long ride. I have to actives relax my arms, shoulders, and back muscles as I ride. It gently forces me to concentrate on the different parts of my body that hold tension. I also have a huge amount of fun while riding. 

Sometimes, when things get quite distressing, I use a safe space meditation. My psychologist and I worked on building a safe space inside my head where I can go when the world gets a bit too much. I can honestly say that this space has kept me out of hospital at times. PMR, progressive muscle relaxation, is a great way for me to get to sleep. Hope you're having a great day.

Hey @Seachickens 

Your post brought a relaxing nostalgic smile to me.

Reminding me of trips on the Great Ocean Road 40 years ago.  Thanks!

It was serene and surreal watching the scenery go by ....

Some people do not get that side of motorcycling, but there can definitely be a 'zen' about it.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Zen-Motorcycle-Maintenance-Robert-Pirsig/dp/0060589469 

I have often been a calm in the midst of the storm type ... but it takes a lot of different mindfulness practices like all those shared here ...

Great thread @pinklollipop15 

I have an extraordinarily beautiful back yard. Lots of trees to gaze at. Frequented by lots of different types of birds – including kookaburras. Perfectly manicured hedge. Lots of fruit laden trees. Orchids (some in flower) everywhere. A small "cactus and succulents corner" on the deck, along with a variety of other healthy, growing plants. Tucked right away so as you can't hear any traffic.

So once a week, I plonk myself in a deck chair and gaze at the vista before me, sometimes listening to the rustle of the trees, and sit perfectly still, saying nothing for an hour or two. I actually talk or vent to myself quite a bit normally, but this does not occur when I just sit in this space. I feel incredibly refreshed and at peace after doing this. It's so positive that I've come to really look forward to it and fully indulge.

ahhh @pinklollipop15 I'm sitting with a cup of tea right now and trying to be present while drinking it really does help me relax. Thank you ❤️ 

And @Dudley I forgot how much I love alternate nostril breathing! It really gives my whole body a sense of relaxation. And @Seachickens I have also used safe space meditation before and it's so helpful ❤️ 

Somethings I find helpful are

- lying under my weighted blanket 

- lying with my legs against a wall or on my bed with my back on the floor

- a walk around the block 

My brain sometimes struggles to slow down, so even if I do these things for short amounts of time, they really help 

Thanks for all the tips everyone ❤️ 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us