Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Tiggeroo
Senior Contributor

Re: Sleep

Hello!

So I am a little late to the party here but i have a helpful tip and a funny story so hopefully my tardiness can be forgiven...

Right - tip: "Sleep with me" podcast... stream it on your phone and boom... Michaels voice will send you off to dreamland in no time. A few deep breathing exercises are helpful too just to get relaxed and some body shop sleep spray on the pillow... good night!... 

now... a quick laugh... i have a very odd and quite rare sleep disorder... and its hilarious! so right at the point of falling alseep, occassionally you feel like you are falling or swinging on a swing... an extension of that is Hypnic jerks, whereby due to the feeling of falling you body jerks you awake with a physical movement... now even though that is odd its still quite common... then we move onto my disorder (i am the only one my sleep physican had ever seen but there are other reported cases in the world so im not competely alone)... at that same point where a hypnic jerk would occur, i make a nondescript vocal sound... and sometimes its really loud... as best i can describe... its a honk... almost like a goose! it sometimes is so loud it wakes me up again and i find my partner in hysterics laughing at me. this happens EVERY night! it has become a joke now whereby my partner asks me if i put the geese away before bed! As payback though i do occssionally sleep with my eyes open which really creeps him out haha!

xx

Tigz

That's really interesting @Tiggeroo ....

The sleep-jerks I can relate to.

🤗

Jane9
Senior Contributor

That's hysterical Tigz. Good to see you laughing (honking). Its 4.30am. I better check out your sleep guy!

That's really interesting @Tiggeroo ....

Hello @Jane9, @querentxyz, @Faith-and-Hope, @Karren

Grasshopper3
Senior Contributor

Hello!
@Jane9 @Faith-and-Hope @Tiggeroo @querentxyz @Karen @Shaz51 @Appleblossom @Acacia @CherryBomb
My son is using YouTube videos just about every night.
If you type in AMSR (Autonomous sensory meridian response) it will play video's that will make you're skin tingle, and hopefully fall asleep. I like listening to it too but will have to turn it off eventually as it keeps me awake lol
Best is, to listen with earphones he says, but I don't. Let me know if it helps you too?
Good luck!
🌷

Thanks for the head's up @Grasshopper3 .... I have a 21yo struggling with sleep issues, amongst other things, at the moment. I will pass that on.

🌷💜

Thanks @Grasshopper3 

I have found this music to be very soothing. Hope it can do the same for others:-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qYnA9wWFHLI

hello everyone @soul@querentxyz@Shaz51@Faith-and-Hope@Grasshopper3

i too have a lot of trouble sleeping with most of the time only getting 4 hours sleep and thats with sleeping tablets. and i get alot of the stupid sleep jerks too and i find they are quite startlign and they do hurt abit. does anyone else find that?

when i try to go bed now i try to do deep breathing and that sometimes works and i fall asleep doing it and other times ill lay in bed with some gentle music on and jsut lay with my eyes close and sometimes ill drift off that way- though i try to take my headphones out before i compeltely fall asleep

Jane9
Senior Contributor

A great app I found is called insight timer. It's free and has lots of guided sleep meditations. It helped me a lot with insomnia.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us