Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

I have no experience with figs @eudemonism, but see that @Smc and @Appleblossom have shared their tips.  Thanks @Smc and @Adge for tips on the rose.  I might leave the stump in and if the rootstock turns out to be a pretty plant I will keep it.  

The war on weeds is gaining momentum, Mr Darcy is keen to see our place looking nice. Yesterday he finished weeding a large bed he had previously started and then did a small bed which had been weeded before. I continued to liberate plants that are unable to be seen due to long grass, two of which were clumping perennials  (whose name escapes me); these were moved and now occupy the small bed which has been finished off with mulch; in due course they should fill the bed and make a good showing.  The larger bed still needs some final touches before we can move the irises into it.  Most of the irises have been overtaken by long grass and have not thrived, the few that have been looked after are flowering beautifully. 

This mornining I saw a hen heading purposefully toward our blue pacific shrub (also surrounded by weeds) and in due course the cackles started.  I went out to investigate and pulled out a few weeds in the vicinity to  see if I could see the nest but to no avail, time of the essence so will head out later on.

Blue Pacific - our's not so upright.Blue Pacific - our's not so upright.

Feeling a little bit pleased with myself that I got out and did a bit of weeding this morning.   Even found myself looking up some plants on line 😀

@Former-Member Well done ! I’m popping out for a walk around the park before a family event as I’ve been a bit sore neck and back and need to take care of myself 

Well done @Former-Member

I also managed to get a big patch of weeding done this morning. I was on a roll but children came home from a trip to the shops (they had some birthday gift vouchers from esrly in the year) and wanted me to build Lego with them so that was the end of weeding for the morning. Will try again  this ave. 

I also have a large pile of pruning that needs to go to the tip. I was informed earlier in the week that I am not supposed to burn in town not even in a drum. 

@Sophie1 Trust your walk in the park went well - did you get to stop and smell the roses?

@Determined kids = more important but when on a roll = 😬.   

We are heading into town to see a movie and are planning a stop at a nursery along the way.  

@Former-Member I did a little walk but spent more time picking up rubbish from around the lake and the edges of the lake - I hate seeing rubbish near the beautiful bird life - next time I’ll take a garbage bag and a rubbish claw or gloves

How was the movie @Former-Member

Got a bit more weeding done here until a sibling showed up to help move a rain water tank. Garden section is a bit over half weeded though and water tank moved to a more convenient tempory location so in all a successful day in the yard .

Enjoyed the movie @Determined   (Bohemian Rhapsody).  Picked up some plants on the way through - choisya - these will form a hedge at the back of the bed that Mr Darcy weeded. 

@Determined

Imagine you would be noticing the difference in time required to look after town garden vs  country garden.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us