Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

@Former-Member, I have grown them a few times, including last year. They're fairly good, but if I can get them, I like the Lemon Drop ones even more. (Another one that Diggers grows.) Slightly oval yellow cherry toms, good sweet flavour that held well both in dry heat and as the weather got cold. The Yellow Pears got a bit floury in the dry, and bitter in the cold.

Lemon Drop in the middle, Green Zebra and Tigerella behind it.Lemon Drop in the middle, Green Zebra and Tigerella behind it.

my garden

@ Darcy

I like growing everything but my passion is vegatables new potatoes, capsicums, lettuce, broad beans, love herbs to.  Currently have rosemary, garlic chives, sage, thyme, and oregarno,  mint, however im not successful with Basil not sure why ?

I have lots of strawberrys, and 8 fruit trees. Have apple, apricot, lemon, necturine  & black cherry I live on a several acreas.  Lots of wind here also.  I have a hothouse which has seen better days but it always seems to last another year, which of course make me happy.    last but not least I have 2 beautiful border collies Deziel and Red, & 5 chooks 1 roster lol.  Ill take some pics of my little garden and post at some stage. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: my garden

@Smc didn't look close enough at the label but there was a yellow tomato at nursery. Hoping it is a cherry tomato as our growing season short.

@Time have you grown basil with tomatoes? I believe they like the same conditions.

I have chooks too - found a hidden nest in our hay recently - 25 eggs. 

Smc
Senior Contributor

Re: my garden

@Former-Member, we've got a short seaso here too. Sometimes they're just starting to fruit when the frost hits them. My photo was from one of my more sucessful years. Smiley Tongue

@Time, I've got one single chook at the moment, but when she's laying, she gives us enough eggs to get by. I'd like to get a few more, both for company for her, and for "weed processing". She's very good at turning them into good soil. 🙂 We also have a few rabbits and guinea pigs that are also good at turning garden waste into fertiliser pellets. And they're cuddly and friendly.

Moved:

Im broken now cant do this any more

This comment has been moved by a moderator to another part of the forum where it might be more easily found by the community

I have some white tulips in flower.images (65).jpeg

Former-Member
Not applicable

Good morning @eudemonism

Hyssop is a plant I would love to grow too. It is on the list of bee attracting plants and can be bought as seeds (now is the time to plant them) from:

https://www.succeedheirlooms.com.au/beneficial-flower-seed/hyssop.html

as a plant from

https://greenpatchseeds.com.au/hyssop-plants.html#fndtn-product_info

Hyssop officinalisHyssop officinalis

PS @eudemonism

As these are mail order companies, there may be quarantine restrictions that are either self or state imposed. If I remember rightly you are a croweater and think I saw on one site SA was ok - easily checked with a phone call.

Yea apparently it's like mint @Former-Member so I'm hoping to grow a permanently patch of hyssop in my back yard. As it's edible, it has medicinal properties and has biblical references. And im into that sort of stuff. I rang nursery but that didn't have any. It's on my too do list...

Ps My Chinese elm tree is booming

Also @Former-Member I'm thinking about getting 3-4 chooks. My fig tree is booming. And i would like to establish oregano. Chives. Garlic chives. Parsley. Mint. Hyssop.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us