Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Meeting the needs of children when a parent suffers from mental illness

Thank you for your reply @Pebbles

I had not heard of Maggie Dent but will check out the link you have provided. Thankyou.

Sorry I cannot help. @Determined Thinking of you and your S2.

Heart

Off to meet the Principal for S2 this afternoon, 

I am trying to plan in advance what I need/ want to say so it is objective and in everyone's best interest. 

At the base of it all though if things don't change we will have to move schools 😞  despite it being a great school. 

Well that was a waste of time.

He was 15 min late then it was a case of is all under control what else do you want to talk about.   More than a little disappointed. 

S2 doed seem to be more content though so just a case of wait and see I guess. 

The more I think about my meeting the more feel like I was brushed away like an annoying fly.  He had absolutely nothing to say when I said my son would rather die than go to school.

I should have been more direct in questioning about  a formal process that should be being followed as a result of our complaint. 

@Determined, it's possible the principal felt out of his depth and didn't know what to say.
I'd probably be asking whether you could get a mental health plan and access counselling for your son via the education department. We've just been filling out paperwork for exactly that for our daughter, but I don't know if the procedures are the same in Qld. as here.

All too familiar for us. I think mental health awareness in schools is better now than it was 10 or so years ago, but it's still not always easy getting help.

Well we now have a referral and mh plan for S2 to see a psychologist. Wait time will be about 5 weeks unfortunately but have to start somewhere. 

After being disillusioned with my perception of the school principals respons post our meeting, after a discussion with S2s teacher at the end of last week I now know he has taken our concerns very seriously and has been working to ensure that necessary supports are in place. 

Teacher has (who has just returned from sick leave) is also very much on the case and sensitive to S2s current emotional situation. I am most grateful for this. 

GP was also fantastic for him this afternoon despite him not actively engaging in the discussion. I think he is a little embarrassed by it all. 

@Determinedi believe my parents conceived me and raised me for their own benefits. And my life and their lives separated when I realised they wanted my life to be about them. And on the other hand... I wanted my life to be about me. Essentially they pulled support from me when they realised i was not turning into who or what they wanted. And once they realised i wasn't going to support their lives in the way they initially intended me to. It became a story of 'there is something wrong'

Sorry to hear that @eudemonism

My desire is that our boys never feel like that...

I want them to feel valued and loved no matter what. I am far from the world's greatest dad But my desire is for them to always feel safe and happy. 

Hopefully it gives you something to think about @Determined
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us