Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Decluttering and home maintenance

So once you've got it leak proofed, you might need to somehow vent warm air into the roof cavity for a bit to dry out retained moisture so you don't get mould growing. Possibly hire a blower heater for a day or two.

Domino effects. Smiley Frustrated ;

Plenty hot up there already @Smc 

I am thinking though after being up there about getting some whirly birds installed. 

As far as a blower heater I'm not sure how that would work as the roof space is huge. 

@Determined, whirlys sound good, except if the insulation is all against the roof instead of the ceiling, they could end up venting all your warm air out in cold weather.

If, once you were sure everything was dry, you attached a length of ducting leading down from the whirly to a ceiling vent that could be opened in hot weather, that might work. Although even then, if you're running an AC, the positive pressure would end up forcing cooled air out of the house.
Whirlys need to be in spaces that don't have supplementary heating or cooling, or need to be outside the insulated "shell" to be beneficial.

That actually makes sense @Smc 

I was more thinking venting hot air in summer rather than winter. Yes in Winter that could be a problem. We have not had a winter in the house but it was a bit cool at the end of last winter when we moved in. 

@Determined, whenever we actually get to fixing up our place, we want to make it as "climate change proof" as we can manage. That means trying to keep it a comfortable temperature with as little additional heating and cooling as possible. Weather is likely to become more extreme, and already the state power grid is failing in prolonged heatwaves. So I've spent ages researching insulation, heat gain and loss, air circulation...

The basic rule is that if you want to heat or cool a place, you create an insulated shell with minimal air exchange and heat or cool within that shell. However, minimal air exchange can become unhealthy, so the trick there is to find ways of venting air in that's already been cooled or warmed to some degree, and selectively venting out hot air in summer. (Because cold air sinks, venting out cold air in winter doesn't work...)

A ceiling level vent opened during summer gives the rising hot air an escape point, and if you have a vent somewhere low down and permantly shaded, cool air gets drawn in to replace the vented hot air. We've got a very shady corner on the south wall that gets no direct summer sun at all, so that's our prime cool air vent position (some day). Our old fashioned roof cavity has about 7' headspace along the hipline, so if we built an insulated false ceiling about 1' down and replaced about 1 1/2' of the corrugated iron with black colourbond, that would create a "vent space" that would get really warm in summer. The hot air escaping from that via either a louvered vent at the end of it or a couple of whirlys would create an updraft that could be used to draw warm air out of the house and therefore cool air in, via a similar system of ceiling vents and ducting...

And there's ways and means in winter too of bringing solar heated fresh air in... but that's another story. 😛

That has given me something to think about @Smc . Getting the lower vent in would be tricky for us as it is a block home. There are some window

@Determined, opening a south side window does the job pretty well. 🙂

hello @Smc , @Former-Member , @Determined , @greenpea , @Sophie1 , @Former-Member 

well I did start on my overloaded verandra table

and then went and did a tiny bit of bookwork

Going through some of my fabric stash... it includes outgrown and somewhat "old" clothes that I want to dismantle and re-assemble. I've picked out some of the clothing items that are in very good condition to send to the op shop, but will keep anything with damage, however slight, for remaking. The op shops already get too many "donations" that they have to throw in a skip, don't want to add to their load. Smiley Frustrated

Have also found some fabric pieces that I don't think I'll ever use, but which might be of interest to someone else, so they can go into the growing "garage sale" stack. A few people in our town have been talking about having a "town wide garage sale day" so if that goes ahead I'll want to have things ready to go. If it doesn't, we'll just have to organise doing our own.

Every little bit helps @Shaz51 

Hopefully you will be able to offload a bit of stuff having a garage sale, whether it be a combined or solo effort @Smc  but will be brilliant if it happens soon. 

Mr Darcy was putting our washing on the line and the unit collapsed.  Yikes.  Then he threw a toy for the dog and she got caught in an empty laundry basket breaking it.  Mr D got all upset. Feeling a bit disheartened but will cope.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us