Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Bipolar 1 husband hyper-religious

@Former-Member Hi Darcy

Thanks for taking the time to reply & provide links, I really appreciate it, I’ll watch & read them as soon as I get a quiet moment.

Yes that’s good advice to approach the pastor, it is something I had previously considered but my husband has a tendency to change churches; he does seem pretty content with the one he’s at now, so it might be a good idea to strike while the iron is hot! Yes I agree, most are ill informed as I discovered during my husbands first serious manic episode, we went to a particular church seeking answers (upon my husbands prompting) & unfortunately we weren’t given the right advice or duty of care that someone with mental health issues should have received, in fact they fed my husbands paranoia even more which put us in a terribly precarious predicament.

Thanks again for your advice, it’s comforting to connect to someone who has been through a similar experience.

@greenpea Thanks for your kind words, it’s not always easy & I’m not perfect as it’s sometimes hard to separate the person from their illness but I try my best.

@Rainbow-Dash Well you are welcome any time to vent your frustrations here. We are a friendly group with a myriad of people, with a variety of differening backgrounds, but who all come together to help our selves but help each other in the process.

Let us know how it goes at the psychriatrist Smiley Happy

@greenpea Thank you for making me feel so welcome! ☺️

Smiley Very Happy

@Former-Member Fresh hope looks like a fantastic organisation for my husband to connect with. Thanks for the recommendation.

I tend to be a bit clinical @Rainbow-Dash (the way I cope) but I know the lows of psychosis and suicide attempts.

Understand some pastors do not understand where the line is crossed into mania unless there is a bizarre aspect.

@Dracy. Completely understand your way of coping. My husbands episodes were unmistakedly bizarre, that’s why I feel we were failed.

*unmistakably (oops)

@Rainbow-Dash

Both my parents were hyper religious in different ways.  It was both prosocial and protective for us, because part of it was trying to be ethical and the best person one can be ... but also confusing & damaging... especially re sexuality .. gender issues etc.

I was also involved and interested in religion, but more at a theoretical and practical level than in a delusional  psychotic way ... maybe ... one never can be too sure ..lol

It all depends on individual circumstances.

Even if God comes first, loving one's spouse is usually high on the religious agenda.  Loving not criticising, but if pathology is there then paranoia can creep in as sexual jealousy.

I was offended when my ex husband was cynical about religion .. got over it .. but in the end relieved when church granted me annulment.

I am just saying hello ... and adding my bit.

Hope the forums help a bit.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us