Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: need help with sleep

Hello, I also ave trouble sleeping.
Then I worry about not getting enough sleep. Are you worried about not getting enough sleep and not getting to sleep?
Former-Member
Not applicable

HI @Kitten it's awful to have trouble sleeping isn't it! Smiley Sad

My sleeping is much better when I can keep my pain and muscle tension (often caused by anxiety) under management. I've been using one of those devices (I don't know if I can say the name of it here) for nerve stimulation and it has been working for my migraines and the muscle tension that builds up leading to a migraine. It might be placebo effect, but I don't actually care, it's working for now! Smiley Wink

When it's days and days or rather night after night of not sleeping and  not being able to catch up during the day either, then I get concerned because I know how that snowballs into worse things for me.

For me, management is the key, management of pain levels before they get beyond just annoying, and management of anxiety when and where I can. There are situation where the only management is to get through it, because I won't take the meds if I have to drive due to safety. So that means it's manage after the event. 

How do you manage your sleep situation? Has three been anything in the thread that has helped you organise your sleep situation for the better? 

@outlander How are you going? Well, I hope. I read a post a bit over a week ago where I think you assked me a question (not the weasel image one) and I could not get back to you at the time.

Now, I cannot find it anywhere, so if I have missed responding to you sometwhere, please let me know and point me in that direction, or say again. I'm so sorry. It was important to me to respond. 

@greenpea hope your getting some good rest too. 

Afternoon @Former-Member dont worry about thr missed post i cant even remember it. Ill write a better response abit later. Im just watching the kids atm and sorting out dinner

hey @Former-Member thanks for checking in on me. its been some very big days. 2 gp visits and pretty full on stuff, and also a psych visit today as well. ive got alot to organise for my next gp visit including xrays and ultraounds on my spine and foot. as  well as monitoring stomach issues and hopefully dont have to go under the scope. 

i have been managing abit of sleep but slept pretty well last night and even got a lay in thankfully!  im not sure how ill slepe tonight though due to no meds as im not at home. im at mums house looking after the kids overnight. but am going ok considering everything

how have you been?

hi @Kitten i wasnt really worried all that much about sleep until i started noticing the sleep deprivation signs more and more so now i am worried about not sleeping. i dont worry all that much when i get to sleep however after it being hrs of building up irritations it becomes very frustrating

Former-Member
Not applicable

Goodness @outlander, if it's not one thing, it's another hey. Gosh that's a bit to have to deal with all right. I really feel for you, as I remember those types of days for me too. So much stress with it all, thankfully, some got sorted but much of it has settled into a pattern that I have to manage. 

I was talking about my soft snuggle blanket somewhere (Twisted Self Care) and I thought, 'That's another sleep helping thing I should tell Outlander about'. So here it is ... 

I bought some Nursery Fleece, it's so soft and snuggly, to make a cuddle blanket for myself. There was a bit that I had to cut off the side cos it was cut crooked off the roll. I couldn't toss it out, soo soft, sooo snuggly, sosooo cuddly how could i possibly throw that soft goodness in the bin!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I made it into 2 rectangles big enough to fit over my hands, just seaming 3 sides. I have been known to put one in my handbag for stressful medical trips and also, I use it one or both calm myself at night to sleep. The softness helps the pain in my hands too. 

It's just brilliant in the winter. I just wanted to share with you and with @Kitten @TAB @greenpea @Former-Member and anyone else who is looking for any way to help with sleep. 

i always seem to have a lot on @Former-Member hopefully things will work out for the best but i know some of my conditions are chronic and lifelong now so will need to focus on managing them too. i kepe getting the your so young talk.  (im not long on 21) it gets hard to hear sometimes. 

aww that sounds so loveley, its still pretty hot here but ive got this nice fluffly blanket when winter comes around. i dont take parts of it with me but it is very good on on my bed when its cold enough. i cant wait for winter, the heat makes it harder to sleep too. thanks heaps for sharing Heart 

need help with sleep

hey everyone

im finding essential oils in a diffuser to be quite good for sleep atm. trying some other recipies out too but atm its jsut lavender (and water). 

how is everyone else? @Former-Member@Former-Member@greenpea@Kitten@TAB 

@outlander I am good thank you outlander but more to the point how are you? after such an awful Saturday. Your situation reminds me (this is going to make me sound really bad but I will say it anyway) my situation with my father up until he died. When he finally passed I could breathe a sigh of relief in fact so could my mother. Anyway that is just the way it is with families ... what do they say you can choose your friends but not your families.

Awful Saturday crappy sunday @greenpea
Going to help mum get some videos as the pony that we are selling might be sold. Hopefully its costing a lot as a lawn mower atm.
Im just hanging on for now. Making sure people are ok.
You dont sound really bad either. Sometimes its relief we feel with these things. Its just really rough atm and worried about other members here too
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us