Skip to main content

Opening Hours
Mon - Fri 8.30 am - 4:30pm

Re: Topic Tuesday // Caring about, not caring for // Tues 20 Aug, 7pm AEDT

Hello @Former-Member (aka Mrs Lauz 😀).

Apart from Mr Darcy who I care for, I care about my sister and her son who both have MI, my sister has anxiety and depression whilst my nephew has PTSD, BPD and more. 

Hi all 🙂

first time poster here. My 16y daughter was dc with Aspergers 4 years ago, as well as ocd/anxiety/depression/panic disorder and potential ADHD... she is about to be discharged from acute care after 16 days of suicidal ideation and self harm... 

Hello @Former-Member - welcome and thanks for my newly updated title 😉 

Hi all,

I care for my husband who has BiPolar 2.

I find bringing up tricky topics very difficult- it often triggers his anger.

I’m beginning to learn to be brave and just speak my mind.

I hate feeling like facing tricky situations are a trigger, but I’m hoping by doing it more frequently he’ll be able to cope better

Hi @Mum-meh 

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like things are quite tough at the moment, its not easy to see your loved one struggle - hope you get something out of tonight and finding connections with others here! If you feel like you want a bit more help and support through the discharge, do feel free to post your story in the broader forums after tonight. 

Sending you understanding hugs @Georgie_Girl , 

@Former-Member , I usually  wait until my husband says more later about how he is 

Welcome @Georgie_Girl 

That must be hard to approach conversations with a bit of fear. Have you found certain ways of starting the conversations help to lower the trigger? Do you feel like you could in a calm moment talk about his feelings of anger when you have those conversations? This might no be doable which I completely understand.

How have others here started conversations with loved ones they are concerned for?

Thats interesting @Shaz51 - and in that waiting time, are there things you do to help make it easier to get to a conversation. Like bonding or rapport building things - sometimes little gesture or activities can help someone feel more relaxed to talk more about whats going on for them?

I find regular texting of my family members reminds them I am thinking of them. I try and phone sis regularly and get them both an occasional item of clothing.  I ring sis regularly.

Picking the right time to ask @Former-Member  was always the point 

Search Mental Health Carers NSW