Skip to main content

Opening Hours
Mon - Fri 8.30 am - 4:30pm

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

@Former-Member @greenspace  Yes I find that there are times when I need to turn my phone off and have it out of sight, it helps me switch off and calms my mind, part of my self care routine! 

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

Heya @Adge  would you like me to e-mail it to you to re-post? But without the guideline breaks so you can just copy/paste? Let me know 🙂 

I am very impressed that you go all in and turn it off! Impressive @eheadspace  I would imagine phone's are an ongoing challenge for younger people living with mental health challenges? Especially in maintaining boundaries around supporting yourself.

I don't feel like i can put my phone away "just in case" because I can get calls son has had seizure etc.  He has also been suicidal before.

Yes please @Former-Member That's what I thought I asked you for - when I replied to your email.

Adge

@eheadspace 

When I don't feel like talking to a person who tends to talk about themselves and not really seem interested in how I'm going mentally 

ohhh @Adge  HeartHeart

Pease explain @eheadspace .@greenspace 

I totally agree with what you say @eheadspace about early warning signs we may be becoming compassion fatigued.  Resentment of people who needed my care at work was a biggie for me.  It was years before I discovered that 'compassion fatigue' was even a thing and when I read about it I felt a real sense of relief.  It was not just me being insensitive to others' needs.  Then I was able to learn more about it.  And how important working out what 'self care' looks like for us as individuals is - it's different for everyone.  I have a wellness recovery action plan in a folder and in it is a 'toolbox' list of things I can do when I need to recharge or slow down.  And I add to it quite often as I learn new things that work for me.  Learning to monitor ourself and where we are at is a good place to start.  For me I do it by keeping a daily mood and sleep record and then I can see when things are changing.

@Adge I saw your post and I feel for you.  Hopefully this discussion will have some useful tips for you.

@Froggyhawk  oh yes thats totally understandable  

@eth thanks so much for your insight! 

Search Mental Health Carers NSW