Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday Focus Group // Treatment and support for people experiencing personality disorders // Tuesday 6 March, 7pm AEDT

@NameUnknown

Yes, DID is the disorder formerly known as Multiple Personality Disorder. However, DID is classified differently to personality disorders (one of the reasons for the name change). DID is grouped under dissociative disorders rather than personality disorders.

Re: Topic Tuesday Focus Group // Treatment and support for people experiencing personality disorders // Tuesday 6 March, 7pm AEDT

I would like to say a huge thanks to everyone involved tonight and a big thanks to @EliseSunflower for including the Forum members in on this important research.

If anything from tonight's discussion has raised distress for you, please don't hesitate to contact a crisis service, engage in your helpful strategies or continue to connect with others here in the Forums.

Thank you for all being so generous in sharing your experiences.

If you have any questions about tonight's session or the research in general, but sure to check out the Participant Information Sheet where you'll find a lot of information including how to get in touch if you have any unanswered questions.

Thanks everyone!

@OhanaSystem we can't send private messages here in Forum Land, but I am certainly happy to keep raving on about TTT to you on another thread somewhere around here. I will tag you and we can continue the conversation. Smiley Happy

@Phoenix_Rising

Thank you!

I'm about to go to bed, but I'll do my best to check in tomorrow. ❤️

Thanks @NikNik and a huge thank you to everyone who participated in tonight's discussion! I really enjoyed speaking to you all. 

Thank you for sharing your stories and experiences. All your insights are extremely valuable.

Have a great night everyone!

Thank you @NikNik and @EliseSunflower and everyone else for a super engaging evening. Smiley Very Happy

@OhanaSystemwrote:

@Phoenix_Rising

Thank you!

I'm about to go to bed, but I'll do my best to check in tomorrow. ❤️

@OhanaSystem Oh that's good, cos I'm about to go to bed too. Smiley Happy

I will definitely be in Forum Land and will tag you at some point tomorrow. Smiley Happy

Thanks everyone! This has been really interesting, and I'll make a note to share it with some other folks living with PDs.

Hey all
My pc is mucking up and keeps turning off so i have now come into the forum on my tablet.

I think it seems that thr topic is what works and what does not

So here is my list:

What works:

- social media blackout. I only have facebook chat because its the easiest way to contact people from all walks of life

- confiding in some friends who are mature enough to handle the information about mental health

- limiting the amount you tell certain people. This is for 2 reasons. Firstly not everyone can handle the information and they may babble to others and you can become the subject of ridicule amongst peers. Also you are entitled to privacy.

- not watching shows where mental health is the subject of the shows plot (ie home and away where a depressed person is a "weirdo").

- forums like sane (woo lol) where you can check in and communicate with others going through the same

- changing psychologists when you no longer feel challeneged and you are going around in circles

- music

- eating well and healthy

- exercise (i do this at the gym because im not into group fitness, too many people competing for attention)

What doesnt work:

- spending too much time with the same people, because you are under no obligation to spend time with bad people. Respect yourself.

- religious teaching that tells you mental illness is a myth and that you are feeling bad because you dont pray enough (this happened to me)

- telling the wrong people stuff about your MH

- give yourself too much credit and you become lazy and get worse, go too hard on yourself and you get worse still. Balance is key.

Hi everyone .....

I am just tail-ending in here .....reading back through the thread.  We have had a recent diagnosis of OCPD within our immediate family, with the potential that more than one of us may be yet diagnosed, as there appears to be a strong familial basis coming through generationally, and possibly through both sides of the family. 

Although with very little experience as yet, I couldn’t agree more with @Phoenix_Rising ..... in our situation the medical professionals have been talking about the personality disorder being triggered ..... so that definitely appears to be about what HAPPENED to the person ..... and with childhood wartime trauma in the generational background, surely inherited trauma ought to be a key focus too .... as in what has HAPPENED in this family ?

To me, a label is only important as a way of identifying needs, and paths to improved life outcomes.  If it helps with validation also, then that is important too, but validation then leads to “what is the next step ?” .... (where is the way forward ?)

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us