Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

RA17
Casual Contributor

Struggling with celebrating seasonal events

I've recently noticed that during Christmas, Easter, New Year and even my birthday I feel this sadness around the event and anxiousness. I don't recall what could have caused this, I haven't always struggled with it but I've noticed from the past few years I always feel this sadness and waiting for something to go wrong. It is always in the back of mind these thoughts and I am somewhat dissociated with my body. 

Even with things at work, I feel disappointed around this time of year with the hours I may be given even though I am aware of why I might have a few fewer hours than normal. Or at home, everyone starts to get on my nerves when they want something from me but I want to be left alone or able to do things at my own pace. Especially this year it just for some reason feels a lot less like Christmas 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Struggling with celebrating seasonal events

Hey! @RA17 

The end of year period can be really tough, especially when it can be triggering or just make you feel really down when there is a lot happening around us. We actually had a Topic Tuesday on this last night. I will link it here so that you can have a read through it if you want to 🙂

But I just wanted to say that you are not alone at all. I am sitting with you, and totally encouraging you to do this end of year period your way, whatever that may look like for you.

Re: Struggling with celebrating seasonal events

Hey @RA17, I feel quite similar. Don’t want to be with people but don’t want to be alone either. It’s a horrid way to feel. Sending empathy. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us