Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

HFN
Casual Contributor

New to this

Hi. Attempt June and sent home after 36 hours in ICU. Survivor guilt. Feeling shame from a few diff people. No support from local CMH. Been told I'm too old to sh. Fear of ED, ambulance and Police. Scared to speak up that I'm  slipping again. 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: New to this

HFN,
Dockers6 here, I want to acknowledge the pain you have been, and are in.

I have sent you a email, checkin in with you.

Dockers6
Peri
Senior Contributor

Hi @HFN,
Peri
Senior Contributor

Hi @HFN,

what an awful experience for you and then too be not supported.  Do you have home support?   You will get support here, people are empathetic and listen,  but you probably need more at this time, take guidance from the moderators

peri

chibam
Senior Contributor

Hi @HFN . Welcome to the forums! Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear about the unsympathetic way you've been treated. That's not right.

There are many of us here who can sympathize with you, in terms of being mistreated by the "help" services.

You can feel free to speak here. I've found this to be a very welcoming community.

Ok. Thank you.

@HFN people who shame folk who make an attempt have no compassion or human decency. 

I'm sorry you are surrounded by people like this. I would be ashamed of myself if I wasn't there for a friend and held such an attitude towards someone who tried to take their own life.

You were obviously not coping and did not have any resources to deal adequately with your situation and feeling overwhelmed

So glad you have reached out to folks at SANE.  Everyone on the forums is understanding of the situations you have just faced.

Don't feel bad or down on yourself, you were just at the end of your own tether. Its an unreasonable expectation to feel mentally ill and have adequate control over your destiny in times like this.

Trigger warning (suicide cases)

I have had two close friends who suicided.  One in Laurundel Hospital in the 1990's - we tried to protect Ron and care for him but the nurses offered him no duty of care to him. They let him out of the hospital when we said he was vulnerable.  I used to argue with nurses only to be told to shut up.

My other friend Kathy I lost contact with and since then moved so she had no way of calling me.  After a while I heard through the MHS she died. I thought she could have possibly tried to have contacted my parents but she didn't. All she had to do was ring the MHS and I would have been there for her.  She could have stayed with me until she got back on her feet - I don't care how long it would have taken.

So here I am reaching out to you on the forums saying its ok and you can hold onto a brighter future.  To not be ashamed or feel worried about feeling hurt by people who don't understand.  You will find support from folks here.

I hope you feel stronger and stronger day by day and have some kind of emergency plan in place.

Wishing you hope and a bright future

S.G. Heart

Bow
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry for the pain that you are in @HFN  and I'm sorry that community mh have not provided you with any ongoing support. I have lost count of how many attempts I have had over the last 10mths and I've finally just been allocated a psychologist through communication mh. They should put more funding and support into prevention. I hope you get the support you need. 

Thank you

Thankyou
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us