Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Insert creative title here.

I am not having a very good morning.

I have my exams soon, so I was vaguely planning to come to the library and start revising. Unfortunately, I got out of bed pretty late, so I don’t have much time.

Social anxiety is annoying me this morning.

I went to the coffee shop and I was very conscious of how awkward I was. When I got to the library, I noticed that the library was full of people.

I just wish I could hire out an office space and have a whole room to myself, but not have to worry about interacting with other people. I don’t get that feeling as much in other settings, but when I’m studying, it’s really strong for some reason.

I found a seat, and the girl sitting next to me had a boyfriend, who was putting his arms around her and playing with her, so I just got up and left.

I went to the shopping centre to get some tea, and for some reason the shopping centre is full of stay-at-home mothers taking their kids out.

I have noticed recently, that the idea of never having a baby has been getting to me. Apparently, for guys, the biological clock is WAY, way, way more forgiving, but still. I remember I was playing with my baby nephew and my Mum said “if you love him so much, how are you going to be when you have your own baby?”

I have got a LONG, long way to go before that happens. I can't conceive by loving my own company.

At this point, I just want to get home in one piece and go back to bed.

That title kind of gets a point across as well. I remember when my posts and my titles used to be, you know... good? Despite the intervention of coffee AND tea, I'm just tired...

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Insert creative title here.

I'm a bit like that right now. Been hanging out with other people's kids a bit. They're really good when you have anxiety stuff because they're building their attachment styles (just like we are).

Also, feeling like my old tricks don't work they way they used to. My thing is working on instincts, emotions and cognitions, sort of by category. As I change the system needs to change with it. (I think I need to work on the connections between the three minds (rather than the bodies (or something))).

You actually seem to be doing great in a lot of ways. I can see that you're still negotiating fear stuff but there's a also a lot of taking appropriate control stuff and acknowledging desire stuff going on in your process. I'm cheerin' for you. Feels like the challenges a new because you've come so far. And, I've only known you a little while. If I were your anxieties, I would be so scared of you right now.

Hey @Former-Member nice to meet you. 

I have social anxiety too so get how inconvenient and annoying it can be. Have you thought about getting some noise cancelling headphones to study with in the library or other public places? They really are amazing. I have both the earbud and headphone types and they are both excellent. 

BB 🐰💙

@Former-Member 

I soo enjoyed your post and I know where you are. It's not great but it's not bad either which to me begs the question...

What are you into?  What is a topic that rocks your boat? 

What was it about your nephew that made you happy?  

Sorry for all the questions, but curiosity is my thing and if I don't have it and can't interact with it, social spaces suck.

@Former-Member 

Im feeling ya hun.

know that feeling well, I feel like that in situations that are like that too.

hugs💗

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us