Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Tammy73
New Contributor

I can't leave my room or bed

I don't know what to do, i'm so depressed, i've been feeling depressed for so long but these last few days I can't leave my bed, I can't take care of myself or anyone else, I want to lock myself away and never come out, I want to dissappear, I want to go to sleep and not wake up. It's too scary out there, if I go out something might tip me over the edge and I'm scared what i might do. what do I do? 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: I can't leave my room or bed

Hey there @Tammy73 ,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing. It sounds like you have been depressed for a long time now. I'm hearing how hard it is to get up from bed, let alone leave your room.

Have you spoken to a doctor about how you are feeling? It sounds like the depression has been lingering and possibly even getting worse?

I remember back to when I stayed under the bed covers for years. I didn't get out of my bed or room. I tried so many different anti depressants, but nothing made much of a difference until FINALLY, I got the correct med. Once things started improving a little, I was able to get out of bed and attend therapy. Then as I improved with therapy and skills, the medication dropped. Although I'm still on a dosage, it's very low. I can stop it, but it needs a lot of time to get off it.

Things can improve @Tammy73 . Just hang in there. 

i'm seeing a psych but can't get in until thursdy, i spoke to a random doc on the phone today and they didn't help really except to want to prescripe me meds. I chatted with beyond blue yesterday and lifeline today. 

I don't know if I should call triage. I feel like I want to check myself in somewhere for a while. somewhere that my kids and family don't see me and I don't feel a burden to everyone. 

Hey @Tammy73 ,

Good on you for being able to do that! That's an achievement in itself!

Consider each thing you do an achievement - no matter how great or small.

If you feel up to it, you can also visit Daily Achievements! 

You deserve all the support you can get.

We are here for you 🙂

Sometimes going and staying in bed is helpful. 

Welcome, @Tammy73 , I'm sad to hear about your severe depression 😢

Like @tyme  said, I also spent 3 years in bed with severe depression and SI (suicidal ideation). I was on an anti-depressant but it wasn't strong enough, it turned out. Then I started seeing a psychiatrist who immediately swopped me to a stronger anti-depressant, which saved my life. I also started therapy with her. 

I've since been in therapy for the past 15 years and am still on that stronger anti-depressant. My life feels much different now and much more positive. So I want to encourage you that things can get better. Hold in there... 

A handy forum tip is if you tag someone by typing @ and then clicking on their name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply.

Hi @Tammy73 

I once spent 2 years in bed. In the end I fronted up at the hospital and told them I wasn’t functional and needed to change my meds as an inpatient . That worked thankfully. It has taken me many years to get on the right meds. Finally when i had a massive manic episode in December 2020 they put me on my current meds and I have been well ever since. I am lucky that my current meds are working so well! Long may it continue. 
Good luck

Meggle

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us