Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

How do you get by between appointments?

I have two appointments on Tuesday.

Early in the morning, I'm seeing my counselor, and then soon after that, I'm seeing my doctor for the first time since it all kind of fell apart. She probably thinks I am going to talk about how much progress I've made, and how my appointment with my psychologist went. (They cancelled).

I think both of those appointments are going to be beneficial, but four days is a LONG time to wait. Well, technically five.

How do you keep yourself OK in the meantime? There's no-one I can really turn to.

Something is wrong with my knee and ankle. I think it still hasn't healed from when I slipped on tiles four months ago. I was going to mention it on Tuesday, but I am thinking of doing a walk-in "appointment" with the doctor who treated me for that. She's available tomorrow morning.

Maybe I can talk about my self-harm and my emotions then? Other than that, I don't know.

I mean I guess this is where the crisis lines come in, but I'm not really in crisis per se, I just need someone to talk to. It feels like you need to be in a current and/or life-threatening emergency to warrant reaching out to one of those services.

I just know it's really going to hurt at some point between now and Tuesday.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How do you get by between appointments?

I agree @Former-Member it's hard when there's a gap between appointments.

When I see my pdoc next Thursday it will have been 5 weeks since I last saw her and I am really struggling. I spoke with another pdoc ;ast week on telehealth but it wasn't the same as I didn't know him.

I hope it works out formyou.

@Former-Member @I struggle with this too sorry it's hard for you. Sometimes I feel like appointments make me focus on time and so it feels longer than if I had none and was just loving day to day

@Former-Member @Former-Member 

I can relate to how it feels to have to wait between appointments. It can feel like a long time. I have self-care activities to help me pass the time like listening to music, having a cup of tea, watching Netflix and going for walks.

It may be beneficial to see your regular doctor as they would know you best?

You don't need to be in crisis to call the helplines. I have called the helplines just to chat to have support sometimes between appointments.

If you are planning to self-harm please dial 000 or call lifeline on 131114 or suicide call back on 1300659467.

I would also like to tag a moderator from Sane here to also provide you with some additional support and check in on you.

When it feels like it's going to be a long time between appointments for me, I come on here and post. It's a way of capturing the thoughts on paper and shrinking them and I always get a great response.

I've been referred to BeyondBlue for when I've not been in crisis but just needed someone to talk to.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us