Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Girly_babe
New Contributor

Can't escape

I have been struggling lately and after an argument with my father I have wanted to leave the house. My Mum took my Dad's side and made it feel like the argument was my fault even though it wasn't and he was the one that started it. He apologised but made excuses as to why it wasn't his fault but things out of his control. I texted my grandmother asking if I could stay at her house for a night or two and she asked if my parents were okay with it. They weren't (obviously), so now I am prisoner in my own house unable to escape the reason for my pain and for my mental illness. I have a psychologist and am on antidepressants but does anyone have any tips to cope in this situation?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Can't escape

Hi @Girly_babe ,

I hear your feelings around being trapped and powerless in your home. It can be so frustrating and awful to not feel heard and not have the ability to seek out a safe place when you need it. I had similar experiences when I was younger and living with my family too. Are you under 18?

One thing that I found helpful was to sit in my backyard or on my balcony, which was still apart of the home but not inside the home. Which was an important difference for me. Being outside in fresh air and around plants, instead of inside a choatic home surrounded by 4 walls, helped me gain a sense of freedom back and calmed me. It gave me room to think and breathe for a while.

Is this something you feel like you could do?

Heart from cloudcore

Being able to work things out is best, if its possible. There's a thing that French people do that they teach in French schools in Frenchland.

First they put their point of view, then they propose what they think the other persons point of view is and then they end with whatever is left after that. That way people are aiming for the centre where there's less friction rather than the extremes where there's the most.

I think it helped them be revolutionary without having to have as many actual revolutions (which are generally messy). I'm not very enFrenched so I don't really understand it. What I do understand of it has kind of helped in my comparable situations.

Content/trigger warning
Maybe ask your parents permission to stay with your grandma, explain you need time out and it would benefit all of you 
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us