Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

ClockFace
Senior Contributor

At in hospital sleep study

Im having a sleep study in hospital tonight, not a hospital hospital, like a lab. Its reasonably comfortable. Ive only had at home sleep studies for my sleep apnea. Im really hoping that the can work out why I wake after a couple hours and thats it for the night, and then Im tired and drowsy during the day. I cant understate how irritating and frustrating this is. The limited sleep, then random 20/30min here and there without my machine at the table or a nap part way through the day, its not enough. I really need to get consistant 8+ hrs a night but its been a long time since I got that. 

Im a little anxious, there is a camera on me while I sleep and Ill be hooked up to a heap of wires etc so its like they will know the ins and outs of what I do while I sleep, which is the idea but I know I tend to move and carry on and its just weird to have people watching you while you sleep. Its pretty intrusive and emphasises how vunerable you are when you're asleep.

They woke me a couple times during the night to fix things but I slept through the night, a first for a long time. Ive woken in a lot of pain though. The bed was really soft and if hasnt done my back or shoulder any good what so ever. 

I have a somewhat busy day, I have the dermatologist at 10am and then my dietitian just after 2. It doesnt sound like much but I have to get home from here first and I doubt Im going to have time to shower etc when I get home. All the stuff I do normally from around 6pm last night is all out of wack, so my shakes arent made for today etc. It probably doesnt sound huge but its enough to throw me out just at the moment. I have a routine now and I find things go better the closer I stick to it.

So, Im basically now just waiting for Dad to come pick me up and take me home. Being the test is in the city, I couldnt drive myself due to my restictions. 

I cant say I feel refreshed, normally when I wake up after a couple hours Im more alert, more engaged. I then stumble and likely drop off to sleep at some point but initially its like Ive been hit with an electric charge. Today, its more like I am hand cranked and Im not really ticking over. Im tired, sore, really sore, and Id happily go back to bed for more sleep. On the other hand, I cant really start doing anything, I cant engage in a project because I only have 1/2 an hour before Dad will be here and I have to go home, so whats the point. Im kinda just in a holding pattern, which I hate. I feel like Im wasting time when Im like this. Like, there is stuff I could be doing and if I had a car and an unrestricted licence then Id just go home now, rather than wait for someone else. Even when I have nothing to do, I hate this. Its the feeling of your bum hovering just above a seat, you might look like your resting, but your just tense, your holding yourself together but not actually settled because you will have to run off any moment. 

If Im in a doctors surgery or something like that waiting, Im not so bad. Ive allocated time to waiting for the doctor etc. Its when Im at home and I have options as to what I coulld be doing instead of sitting wasting time waiting to leave to sit and wait for a doctor etc that I have issues.

I just dozed off for about 10min. Dad will be here shortly so I might go out and wait for him

1 REPLY 1

Re: At in hospital sleep study

Hey @ClockFace ,

Thanks for the update. Sounds like things are moving. Whether it's moving backwards or forwards, they are moving. 

I hope they find out what they need to from these tests - then it'll be worth it.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us