Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Good Morning!

Hey there @Shaz51 💜🌺

hope Mr Shaz’ scans & tests went well and he’s ok with the meds changes 🫂

I’m so sorry @Adge 🫂💜

this is just such awful neglect of your needs - the abuse of power is totally unacceptable in their approach. 
it’s completely understandable to feel the way you feel - i find that orgs that abuse power and policy get away with it because people living with MH find it so hard to follow through on complaints… it’s almost like that fact is used as a means of leverage by them. 
How are you feeling now? 
I hope you’ve been able to get some sleep and gain your sense of autonomy back 💜🫂

please know that this lack of service delivery standards is not a reflection on you - it is their neglect of policy. 
take good care, and I hope those resources are helpful in some way for you 🌺💜

Yes it’s so much easier and cheaper at times to use space heaters instead of full reverse cycle systems along with warm clothes @SmilingGecko 🙂🌺

the Lazy Patch suit doesn’t have zip off feet, so I’m going to modify it so I can walk around in it. The other thing I’ve just done is put up thick curtains like room partitions between areas of the open plan, so I can cheaply heat one area at a time instead of having to heat the entire open area (there’s no doors between rooms, so I’ve put curtains).

it’s already keeping the lounge room much warmer with only short bursts of heater activity. 
I also bought a bunch of thick fleece, and have made some over pants to wear at home (slip them over clothing to stay warm, then slip them off if I am going out to an appointment), along with some thick turtleneck vest pullovers to do the same. 
I also wear long wrist warmers which are surprisingly good at keeping in body heat. 
I have made a couple of beanies with the fleece, which are really great when sleeping and house temp drops overnight. 

I was reading somewhere on the internet that it’s recommended that elderly and people who have health conditions have a room temp of about 25 celcius and overnight no lower than 19 🙂 I can’t find the exact resource but there’s lots of info out there about ideal room temps. 
When I was in England many years ago I was staying in a tiny old caravan in winter, and the condensation from my breath overnight used to freeze the door closed - I had to crack all the ice around the door to open it. It had slatted windows so it wasn’t very well insulated at all, and in snow storms the flakes would get blown in through the gaps. 
I slept inside two thick sleeping bags, which sometimes used to ice up around my face. 
I did the entire winter living there, which then meant when I came back to Au nothing ever felt really cold again hehe ☺️🌺

..except for the snow covered areas, of course 😊

I hope your week went well, and the coming weekend goes smoothly 

Hey there @Glisten  🙂🌺

hope your week has been ok for you? Sorry for the delay in reply - the week got away from me a bit. 
It would be so lovely to have no health problems ☺️ 

not to worry. Thanks for your understanding 🙂🌺💜

wow that’s a really difficult issue that your friend is living with regarding ingestion of dairy - I’m so sorry to hear that. It sounds really concerning 😯

I sometimes think that from the day we started misusing this skeletal design by walking upright, we were creating physical ailments that would come back and bite us on the backside hundreds of thousands of years later 😉🌺

I hope you have a nice Friday, and your weekend goes as smoothly as possible 🙂🤗🌺

Hey there @SmilingGecko 🙂🌺💜

thank you kindly - I live in a very physically reactive body which I think is a product of predisposition/genes and exposure to toxicity (environmental both in emotional environments and physical/work environments). To this end, I get the feeling my nervous and immune systems has been searching for solutions, and as a result of decades of being unable to clear out the stressors (acute and chronic), these areas are dysfunctional (I have rare immune disease and an immune/white cell stem cell problem and neuropathy) trying to do a job that they just can’t fix. 
Sounds like heliotrope is a great oil to enjoy, however I’m sorry to hear it’s hard to obtain due to shipping costs. 
It’s lovely that allergies and sensitivities could be reversed - that is a really nice sign that the immune system is regulating itself very well 🙂🌺👌🏻

Some years ago I started learning aromatherapy as an adjunct to the allied health role I did, however I had to stop because the sensitivity to the volatile’s was very high. I’d take a bunch of antihistamines before class hehe ☺️

I hope your day goes well and you have a relaxing weekend 🤗🙂🌺💜

Dear @PinkFlamingo 

Thankyou for alerting me to @Shaz51 husband. Your messages help me keep in the loop. 

Hey @Shaz51 are you making coffee this morning or will I ? 

IMG20240524071506.jpg

  meet my new friend 

export1716452760856.jpg

@Adge 

So behind @PinkFlamingo 

Meet my coffee for this morning 🌄 

Shall I make you and @PinkFlamingo one ? 

IMG20240524071506.jpg

 its a new day today. 

What would you like to do ? 

Hello @PinkFlamingo these are all great ideas! I will have to get my sewing machine out to sew a Japanese harimake for keeping my kidneys warm. The Harimake takes the chill out of your lower back and protects your kidneys which are active during winter according to chinese medicine.

Anyway in years gone by would just wrap my waist and upper hip with a warm scarf. I think harimakes have since taken off in the west and they are like a belt made of polar fleece that keeps your little kidneys nice and warm.

But youre right you have to keep the body temperaure regulated as pathogenic cold puts stress on the body. I may look into buying some long knitted gloves off etsy as my hands get extremely cold over winter. I have old leather gloves from Aldi and yes I wear cozy scarves to keep my neck warm.

Have thought of going back to eating more black colored foods over winter as black is the esoteric food of the kidneys. There are lots of black foods like black beans. black sesame seeds, black rice, black chia, seaweed, black mushrooms, black plums and dates. All great for kidney energy. I have traditional chinese medicine texts and that is what they say for aligning with winter

I was also told to partition my rooms and keep doors closed too from an environmental scientist who came out to my home as a part of a community development initiative run by the Uniting Church years ago. They gave us cheap options for heating and cooling your home.

I was educated by her on how to calculate wattage on a couple of devices and found an electric throw costs virtually zero dollars to operate. If you want me to show you how to do your sums on appliance usage I will dig out how to do the calculations. Anyway an electric throw will keep you warmer than a heater!!!

I had a facebook friend who had a heater on every winter and the bills were immense. He needed it for his fibromyalgia but put off getting a throw and regretted it. He said the throw was better than a heater and great for his fibro and had been using it ever since. His electric bill said thankyou.

Here is an article entitled "How a heated throw rug had me heating my words"! Your bills will not spike Pink Flamingo

https://www.1millionwomen.com.au/blog/electric-dreams-how-a-heated-throw-rug-had-me-heating-my-words...

And yes you are right about keeping rooms warm in winter. It can cause respiratory problems. I knew of a former oncology nurse on a budgeting page I belong to who said the same thing. I wasn't aware of it but glad she brought it to my attention.  She provided an article on it and said "I don't care what people say but you really need to do this!" And of course she was correct.

Golly @SmilingGecko 

Your information to @PinkFlamingo re heating is GOLD. 

Thanks x

macro-photography-droplets-luci-rodriguez-17.jpg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us