Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

BambiFawn
Senior Contributor

illness can be spiritual

'Were her thoughts really prodromal symptoms, or was it some epiphany in the external world.' by BambiFawn

Illness has a spiritual side to it, but are the voices in schizophrenia and ptsd really from just a chemical imbalance or from hearing in the spiritual realm or a demon speaking to the mind?

Any thoughts on this?

24 REPLIES 24

Re: illness can be spiritual

Its an interesting idea @BambiFawn. Different cultures and eras have viewed the concept of mental illness differently.

I suppose, in my opinion, if a person is having unusual perceptions in a way that is distressing for them, or making it hard for them to live thier lives, I would suggest this is something that the individual needs help with, regardless of wether the origins of the symptoms are understood through a spiritual lense, or the western medical model.

Its possible that attaching a spiritual meaning to the symptoms might make a person more resistant to getting help.

Id be interested to hear the views of others, especially any of you out there who have had experiences with hearing voices or psycosis.

yes dear lovely @Chamomile,
Well written.
I take my medicine every night at bedtime, and it helps keep me well.
I think there is sometimes a spiritual element involved and not always just a chemical imbalance. But we are all different. But I always advocate taking medication if unwell with voices or other mental illness symptoms.
Have a lovely day.
God bless you dear Chamomile.
Former-Member
Not applicable

@BambiFawn, you're very brave tackling this topic. What has been your personal experience. I have faith. I hear voices but inside my head. Some write it off as ego or internal dialogue.

In the throws of PTSD episodes after a major grief, I cried out to God "how could I ever be happy again" immediately it came to me "yes, but you have my joy" it settled me down and restored hope. Nobody can tell me this was my own mind. It was clearly another entity, perhaps the Holy Spirit within, but clear as a bell it was.

External or internal messages, I size up with a loving, healing, forgiving God. If the words spoken cause distress, fear confusion... - we must disregard those words.

My brother, diagnosed with drug indused Schizophrenia talks about a spirit family who visit and comfort him.
Unfortunately they tell him things not based in reality, which he believes and acts on and causes conflict with most relationships.

I'll be following this thread, interesting topic. 🌷🌿
Former-Member
Not applicable

@Owlunar & @Faith-and-Hope might have some input.

Hey dear @Former-Member, 

Lovely to meet you.

Yes dear Lapses, I too have heard God speak to me.  We were discussing my father's infidelity and adultery and how so many men are having affairs. Beloved Jesus told me ' A man should always pray in secret for his wife.'  I knew it was Jesus as these were not my thoughts. Moreover Jesus' words here are in alignment with scripture, whereby God prays for the Believer or Bride of the church, praying in secret for all His believers and flock of lambs.Yes God only speaks positive words, Satan and demons speak negatives. However, the devil can masquerade as an Angel of light too.

All of life is spiritual.

' A flower blossoms; then withers and dies.  It leaves a fragrance behind, which long after it's delicate petals are a little dust, still lingers in the air.......Let a note be struck on an instrument, and the faintest sound produces an aternal echo. A disturbance is created on the invisible waves of the shoreless ocean of space, and the vibration is never wholly lost.  It's energy being carried from the world of matter into the immaterial world will live forever.  And man we are asked to believe, man, the living, breathing, reasoning entity, the indwelling deity of our nature's crowning masterpiece, will evacuate his casket and be no more! Would the principle of continuity which exists even for the so-called inorganic matter, for a floating atom, be denied the spirit, whose attributes are consciosness, memory, mind, LOVE!. Really the very idea is proposterous....' Helena Blavatsky.

Former-Member
Not applicable

That's really deep @BambiFawn, not sure my head can get around it today. I believe in the spiritual rhelm but many don't. I'm thankful my faith and conversations with God haven't had me labelled psychotic (but I dont really tell unbelievers - they don't understand faith).

I once was active in churches that saw 'demons' behind everything and call attitudes 'spiritual pocession' - this was unhelpful, especially struggling with depression & cPTST - branded as 'lack of faith' or worse 'underlying unrepented sin' - also unhelpful! Actually condemong andvopposite to the teachings of Christ. Much damage can come from false teaching and spiritual abuse. Nobody talks about this stuff.

Have you had any revelations lately?

Its really good you 'test' all spirits to see if they do or don't line up with compassion and love of Christ. ❤❤❤

I suspect you won't get too many people venture to this thread. There's a saying

"If you wanna keep friends - don't talk about religion or politics" I'm gonna add 'Gender' to that list nowdays lol

Hugzz 💜💕

@Former-Member,
Hey there, thanks for being a good friend and being supportive. Hugs to you too and many blessings to you too.

Hi @BambiFawn @Former-Member @Chamomile .....

For me, and my spiritual beliefs are Christian, wellness is holistic ..... it is a combination of physical, mental, emotional and spiritual balance ..... being "tuned" in a way comparable with an instrument sounding its best.

To achieve that tuning, we follow the sort of practices that support wellness ..... sleeping enough, eating well, taking the time to breathe well, getting physically active, addressing emotional pain and taking the time to seek joy and laughter, considering peace and trying to still the chatter of our mind when we are feeling overwhelmed or rocked by passions or emotion,  reading or watching material that causes us to think and empathise, engaging in creative activities, engaging with nature, practicing religion according to our belief system and what it teaches, and the list goes on.

If I am physically injured, I go to the doctor for treatment.  If it is a significant enough injury, it comes to the attention of my faith leader, because the relationship is one where he is interested in my well-being and our interactions will reveal it.

If I am emotionally unwell, I seek the support of my faith leader, and he may recommend the support of an appropriately trained doctor.

If I am mentally unwell, I seek the support of my faith leader, and he may recommend the support of an appropriately trained doctor.

If I am spiritually unwell, I seek the support of my faith leader.

Over and above all these things, I choose to live with active faith and prayer in my life, which means that both are already engaged as a shield against dark spiritual influences.

For people who don't live this way, I can't answer ..... but for my thinking, the presence of Christ drives out the presence of evil influences just by the fact that they can't co-exist in the same place with Him , so if Christ is well present in your life, and a doctor is telling you that you need medicine to treat the symptoms of mental disorder .... take the medicine.  Christ can work with the medicine, or the illness, or heal it, or whatever is best for your spiritual growth and development.

Part of faith practices is obedience .... obedience to spiritual leaders, obedience to tenets of faith, obedience to the physical laws of the world / universe, obedience to the advice of your doctor (or seek a second opinion), obedience to commonsense, health practices, compassion, conscience ..... and let the combination of these keep you out of reach of malignant spiritual influences.

Long-winded way to say "walk the walk, and take the medicine".

You have a brilliant understanding dear lovely @Faith-and-Hope.

You are so eloquent and I love your deep understanding. Hugs and blessingsCat Very Happy 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us