Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

BambiFawn
Senior Contributor

What foods do u eat to help with your illness?

Father God made us a garden full of all sorts of food for us.  Every different fruit or vegetable, nut, seed, berry or meat etc has different vitamins and minerals that heal specific and different parts of the body. 

Which food helps you heal from stress attacks, illness?

I find if I am stressed a slice of toast with vegemite on toast helps my brain heal and recover.  The B vitamins really work.   

8 REPLIES 8

Re: What foods do u eat to help with your illness?

Having a banana when sad really helps like a slice of bread or toast with vegemite.

I googled banana and depression-"The amino acid tryptophan helps your body make serotonin, a brain chemical that regulates mood, explains MedHelp. ... Additionally, bananas provide vitamin B6, adds the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition," which your body also needs in order to manufacture serotonin from tryptophan.

Bananas are a good pick me up if feeling sad or blue.  

I googled vitamins and mental illness, it said "deficiencies may play a causative role in mental illness and exacerbate symptoms; psychiatric ... B vitamins are required for proper functioning of the methylation cycle, ... Because numerous sources address using supplements to treat vitamin ...''

What supplements or vitamin therapy do u use? Of course these supplements should not take the place of your daily medication ie: anti psychotic etc.

@BambiFawn

what a good topic. I believe a good diet can really help the human body and mind. I try to eat healthy foods and vegetables, but my one main food that I love love love is chocolate.  I try not to have it a lot, but gosh I love it. I did read that it can be a quick antidepressant food too..not sure if that is true but I like the idea 🙂

I've been taking a new vitamin supplement drink that was on a current affair tv show a few months ago and it is meant to assist with depression.   My doctor also said some vitamins can help with mood regulation and I'm hoping to see a naturopath soon to see if I have any vitamin deficiencies.

The experts do say that a good diet and good amount of exercise can help with anxiety, but I find it really hard to motivate myself to do anything. I do try walking around the block when I can, but it's not really enough.  I wish I could motivate myself to do more.

I'm glad you like bananas @BambiFawn  that is a good healthy choice. I must try that instead of chocolate.

Hey dear lovely @girl99, thanks for replying here.

Yes, you are on the right track eating chocolate.  Chocolate is the 'new salad' actually.  The cocoa bean in chocolate helps fight cancer and heart disease and thins the blood I heard.  Yes beans like the cacoa and coffee bean are very good for you and high in antioxidents.

I'm so pleased you share an interest in nutrition.  I'd love to see a Naturopath.  My Grandfather was an Osteopath.   

I take Ensure PLus vitamin supplement drink in vanilla at Chemist Warehouse, made by a British firm Abbott.  It is excellent.  Sometimes available in chocolate.

Hugs and blessings dear @girl99

Hello @BambiFawn, @girl99 Smiley Very Happy

I find having a cup of camomile tea ready help me feel better

Might have to look up Camomile and green tea if they do help xx

when im not feeling great i find it really hard to motivate myself to eat (no appetite or feel to sick too eat/keep down food)... i try and have easy grab stuff that i keep out on the bench like almonds and cracker biscuits, and some fruit and i put eating on my schedule/routine... particularly if my kids are away. I also buy frozen dinners... the healthy ish ones so that makes it easier as for when kids arent around.

I've been given lists of mood foods in the past. I make sure I eat a banana daily, for it's serotonin producing qualities. I also have a small piece of dark chocolate for the same reason. I read somewhere that the higher the cocoa content, the better the mood food.

@Shaz51 @BambiFawn

Hi Shaz51, I also like Camomile tea. I find it is very helpful at night and calming before bed time.  Sleeping pills also help too.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us