Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Zoe7
Community Guide

What Lies Within... (Trigger Warning)

Within my heart hides pain, within my mind lies fear. With every day that passes I feel a little more lost and another small piece of me disappears. Memories of the past consume nearly every waking minute and attack my soul in my sleep. My life has been governed by heartache and grief and today I am taking some of that control back. This is my story...

I was abused by two 'boys' who lived in my street from 9-10 years of age. They were both still in high school and travelled on the same bus that I took home from school once a week. This was the day that my mum could not pick us up straight away after school and would meet us at home.

It began one Sunday afternoon in winter when I was playing football with the boys. One of them lived over the back fence and I was thrilled to be asked to play.

It ended in me being on the ground.

Every week after - when I got off the bus - it continued - in a garage of the house that the other boy lived in (it was on the way home from the bus stop). They threatend to 'get to' my little sister and so I did what I was told - whatever I was told. I didn't want my sister to be hurt in any way.

It stopped when they left high school and no longer caught the bus.

Around the same time - at home my father was becoming more aggressive and was drinking more and more. I started to step in between him and my mother - as a consequence I copped the brunt of his aggression. I became very good at covering up the bruises and hiding the pain. It was also an excuse for my behaviour and no-one knew that it wasn't just the treatment I was receiving from my father that was causing me to withdraw and 'hide away' in my room but also what I was going through outside of the home.

On one occassion when my father had hit my sister - I was so angry and upset that I fought back and copped it - I stayed on the floor crying for hours - all my mother said was "you know how he get's so why did you have to say anything?" 

To escape any 'punishment' from my father I shut myself away and only came out for school and sport. I threw myself into being the best I could be at both. I trained hard and when I was home I was always studying or reading. 

I continued to be hurt over several years when 'I was in the way' or stood up to him. It finally stopped in my early 20's when he came home one night drunk - I confronted him and was hurt again. This was the last time - I told him I would call the police if it ever happened again - it never did!

During my late teens and early 20's I was also in a nearly 9 year on and off relationship. We would be together for a while and then he would move for work. Everytime we would say 'goodbye' and try to move on but we just seemed to find our way back together again. He would always become quite 'nasty' before he would leave - and I started to realise that was his way to cope with separating again - so it didn't hurt me as much after a couple of times.

After several years of doing this he made the decision to return permanently. He found a job, packed up his things and came home.When I picked him up I barely recognised him. He had become heavily involved in taking drugs and drinking and he seemed like a different person. This should have been the first warning sign for me!

Over the next two years there were many times that I felt like that 9 year old girl again. He became extremely abusive, possesive and violent - threatenting my with whatever was at hand. I could not do anything without 'answering' to him. I had no way out as I was too scared. 

During tthis time I somehow managed to continue with my studies and sport - at was successful at both. It was like I was living in two totally different worlds!

The beginning of the end came when we attended a birthday party of one of my teammates. The drinks were initially catered for but when they ran out 'he' wanted more. When I said I didn't have any money left he started yelling at me and then threw a glass. He left the room and was 'bashed' by two men who had seen everything.

He was taken unconscious to hospital and I wanted to walk away then... but I didn't. I begrudgingly agreed to let him stay with me after he was discharged ... but only until he could drive himself again. BIG MISTAKE...

For the first two nights he slept on the couch and everything was ok - we talked about the relationship being over and I went to sleep at peace that we were on the same page and that he had accepted this.

The next morning  I woke feeling unable to breathe, everything went dark as I lost consciousness. Not only did he abuse me but he also tried to end my life. I do not know why I am still alive and why he stopped but when I eventually woke it was daylight and he was asleep next to me. I hoped it had all been a nightmare but the pain told me otherwise. I got out of bed and showered until the water ran cold, dressed and went to Uni - as if it was just another day. I didn't know what else to do.

When I got home he was gone. I lived in fear every day that he would come back but he never did. I would like to think that it was because he knew what he had done but I will never really know what went through his mind - and I really don't care!

This has been part of my story...

So... what lies within me is the fear and pain of the past. I am unable to sleep because I fear the nightmares and reliving the abuse (all of it) and I have a fear that if I do sleep I may never wake up - that I will be back in that morning and this time I will not survive. The nightmares and flashbacks are terrifying and so real that I am constantly reliving past abuse. The smallest little thing - a word, a song, a noise etc. can trigger a memory unexpectedly. The hurt is both emotional and physical. I feel the pain in my body - I relive it as if it is happening again...

I have shut down most of my life so as to not let it destroy me and in doing so I have shut out the world and of having any meaningful life. I do not know how I am ever going to get past 'just existing' as the scars seem too deep to heal. My only way forward seems to be by not feeling and by not feeling I am trapped in the past.

As a result I suffer from GAD, depression and CPTSD. I do not know how I have got through each day and I do not know what the future holds. What I do know is that I am still here and I hope that I can continue to fight... and maybe one day start 'living'.

23 REPLIES 23

Re: What Lies Within... (Trigger Warning)

Dear @Zoe7

I am out of words but I want to let you know how brave I think you are for sharing your story and that I just want to hug you.

Take good care of yourself x

Oh my dear beautiful friend @Zoe7

Tears flowing while reading your post.  What you have gone through and still suffering.  Thank you for trusting us in sharing your story. I am so lost to know what to write.  

But for now I just say to you - you are a very strong, determined woman Heart Reading everything you have gone through makes me cry for you; for that little 9 yr old.  And it made me wonder - why 9 yrs old? I was the same age when sexually abused and I think others on here too were the same age.

But that's not important right now; what's important is that you have the right support to guide you through this trauma of years ago and to live a life full of love, health and strength.

I can't even imagine what you are going through, the sleepless nights; the visions, the memories.

Zoe, pls take care; i know you will get through this.  I believe in you that you can.  

Gosh, i am so lost for words this morning, tears are for you my friend. 😞

thinking of you beautiful; take care; be gentle on yourself; rest and nourish yourself.

Bluebay HeartHeartHeart

@Zoe7, words are not enough to say how I feel for you. Similar trauma in my fledgling years too - so alone. Where's the 'real' men in the world? You deserved so much more. You go gently today, xox

@BlueBay @Former-Member @Former-Member

Thank you so much for your kind and heartfelt words. Heart

I know it is not an easy thing to read but surprisingly (when I got started) it wasn't hard to write.

I think the courage of others on here lately inspired me to finally tell some of my story... and I just felt it was time!!!!!

I am actually doing ok. It does feel a bit like a small weight has been lifted. 

I would never have been able to do this without knowing that I had such wonderful, supportive and caring people around. Even though I have definitely had more downs than ups over the last few months - I would not have got through it all without my 'forum family'. This place has been a blessing and a lifeline for me. I am so very grateful that I 'found' this forum and seem to be also finding my 'voice'. 

I know this is just the beginning and hope that now I can also take some small steps in moving forward. This is by no means going to be easy and I am sure that there will be many setbacks along the way, but I do at least feel some hope for the future.

@Zoe7

im so sorry that you went through all of this! it really sounds like a nightmare and i really hope that one day you will get though it.

thank you for being brave enough to share your story with us and im with you as well as many others, each and every step of the way.

you really inspire to me to keep on moving forward. if you can survive through that, i can survive too so thank you for sharing your story.

Wow @Zoe7 Thank you so much for sharing that with us all, I can only imagine how hard it is for you to write that and express how the abuse has effected you especially with your nightmares and fear, this shouldn't have happened to you, I am so sorry it did.

You are so incredible in the way you express yourself and your intelligence shines through, thank you for always being such a supportive and caring person in our forum community, we areso very lucky to have you here.

I really hope the ngihtmares and flashbacks stop, you poor thing, that must be so tough. I hope they go away and you can continue to live your beautiful life the way you deserve.

Lunar 🙂

Thanks for sharing your  story @Zoe7 - I knew it had to be there somewhere - and such a tough story

I was physically abused by my mother - but I fought back and she stopped that in time but the verbal and emotional abuse continued for her life-time - and I stayed out of her life - and that was her loss

Still it hurts - I know

You are so brave and strong - and I can tell you are putting bits and pieces of your life together and now you have chosen to tell your story - and how brave you were - and you never deserved any of that

You do have your moments thought - this will continue - it takes a lot of undoing when there are those scay memories lying within - and your mother - telling you not to speak to your father when he was "like that" - hey - in the long term it worked but your mother was guilty of neglect also

I know it is hard to leave - I understand that your mother was not in a position to move things along for her kids - for you - as she would have done if she was stronger - this is a reason - not an excuse

There are no excuses for those who abused and injured you - where does a child go for help?

Thanks for sharing Zoe - it is a hard story but what a testament of strength and courage

Hugs - Dec

@Former-Member @Lunar @Owlunar

Thankyou for you wonderful responses - it does actually feel like some of the pressure is being lifted just by others knowing. I no longer have to carry the 'secrets' alone and although my GP and psychologist know some of the parts - no-one knows the whole story. This is 'part' of my story - but the main parts that I struggle with every day. The road is long but I can see some light Heart

@Zoe7 my beautiful friend. Thank you for opening up and writing about these abuses you lived through.
No you did not deserve any of that to happen to you. Not to the 9 year old child. Not to the teen and not to your adult self.
So I'm hugging your child soul, your teen soul and your adult soul.
You are not alone.
You are no longer a caterpillar hiding in the cocoon. You are a butterfly and you are just learning to use those beautiful wings of yours.
There will come a day when those wings will take you anywhere & everywhere you want to go.
♥♥♥♥
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us