Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Tooky History: Clipart but potentially triggering

This is a little project I did earlier this week, inspired by @Faith-and-Hope on one of the art threads, also @Appleblossom and Sherry, and some others on the Carers side.

The story "reads" left to right line by line as you would a book. 

Some will "get it" some probably won't but nonetheless, it depicts my "black hole" story and everything in it is chosen or placed deliberately. It's supposed to be a side by side trilogy but in this format it's the three sequential pages so the pics in the collage can be seen.

It's a little scary posting it because it means something to me but well here it is anyhow.

THoT1.jpg

THoT2.jpg

THoT3.jpg

279 REPLIES 279

Re: Tooky History: Clipart but potentially triggering

Oh Tooky - what a great way of sharing your story.

❤️ 

Wow @Former-Member, this is amazing. It totally makes sense. Thanks for sharing this. Heart

Thank you @CherryBomb and @Former-Member .  I am glad it makes sense.  Thanks heaps.

It tells your story so graphically we feel it .. more than words often convey.

Thanks for trusting us.  Yes to the Rebuild.

Just looked at it again Tooky. I've not seen a story told through pictures like this. It's such a gentle, careful way to communicate something that maybe words don't do a good enough job of, or don't exist for, or are hard to say.

It does make sense and I agree to feeling through it too. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for sharing @Former-Member. Maybe I could try and do one. Not sure I know how.

Thanks so much @Appleblossom , and Yes to the rebuild 🙂  most definitely 😄

@Former-MemberI'm glad it "speaks" to you, if "glad" is the right word with something like this, but you know what I mean.  ❣️

@BlueBay  A simple drawing program (I used the free downloadable Open Office - Drawing)  and Mr Google images well get you through it   🙂

Wow @Former-Member, that's the fastest autobiography I ever read. Amazing! Thank you. Maybe we could all do one and put it in the 'introduce yourself' thread. And sorry its been such a hard road for you on and off. You're doing great xox

I thought I would have a go at this myself and have been playing around with cliparts for the last half hour but finding it very hard. It's hard to find the 'right' picture and it's bringing up some tough feelings. I thought it would have been easier than writing, but maybe the visual element adds to the intensity. Or maybe it's just not the right time for me.

Can I ask please @Former-Member - how long did this take you to do and did you find it difficult (in terms of both picking a picture and feeling the feels)? Also, where do you think you are in terms of recovery and rebuilding, and how long has it taken you to get here/there? Please don't feel you need to answer anything - it's just that your story and the way it's been presented really resonates with me. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us