Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

getbetter
Senior Contributor

Often people don't like to talk of MI

Hello I am in hospital with an infect and was talking to the nurse about things and got on to the subject of mi, I told her I suffer bad from depression, but she seems to have swapped with another nurse to look after me, I often find with my friends that talking about mi is to much for them maybe that happened in this instance
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Often people don't like to talk of MI

@getbetter. I can understand you being sensitive about the nurse change - but I can tell you it happens a lot in the hospital system. A new patient comes in & only one nurse has experience with that type of disease/nursing - so they move the nurses to be able to offer the best nursing outcome for all on the ward.
And yes, there are many people- friends and family included, who don't/can't talk about our MI's. This makes it really hard for us. As being able to share our experiences and feelings is good for our mental wellbeing.
I hope the new nurse is kind and looks after you really well.

Hi there @getbetter,

I think that perhaps like @utopia said they wanted to provide you with a nurse that had more knowledge and was able to help you more. I do hope the new nurse is helpful and you feel comfortable with them?

I also think that many people do struggle talking about mental health concerns, this could be for so many reasons - such as bringing up things within them or stigma, it's really hard to know, I don't think it comes naturally for people to react to those things in a way that is always helpful, especially if they don't really know you so it can be hard.

Hope your infection goes away @getbetter

Lunar

@getbetter. How are you feeling today? I hope your new nurse was very helpful and caring. How long do they think you'll have to stay in hospital for?
I hope you have a full and speedy recovery.
I'm happy to talk or listen - if you need someone today.

Hello thanks for your replies, another thing is just how productive people here are and thats frustrating because I am not that these days, I guess that happens to a lot of people though, age, injury etc.

@getbetter. Since my workplace injury leading to my MI's - I am not the same as I once was.
On my bad days - I tend to focus on what I can no longer do. Eg: my memory and concentration is really poor now. My weight has ballooned and my fitness is not existence. But on my better days - I can see the positive changes that have occurred. Eg: I take the time to observe and listen. I'm listening to the birds making a huge racket in the tree at the moment. I've discovered the benefits of taking time out to breathe and do meditation. I have a new found love of nature. And have the time to research and read.
Things can change as we get older. But some of those changes can be wonderful.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us