Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

greenpea
Senior Contributor

Lessons for the year

I actually got this thread off another site and thought what a good idea it was ... so here we go ... what lessons have I learned over the past year.

1. It is okay to be in my fifties and a bit over weight infact it can be fun. I get to eat all the naughty food I want! 

2. I can cope without alcohol as a mood stabilizer. I miss it but I don't need it any more.

3. I am a princess and I can do what I bl *#dy well like! 

4. It's okay that some people dont like me (like my sister). Can't change it ... why sweat it ... just move on.

5. I like my voices ... I have an angel who calls my name in the morning to wake me up she has the most angelic tone in her voice whilst I have another who growls and carries on ... not too keen on him but I am learning that he is a part of me.

Anway they are some lessons that I have learned I would love to hear what others have learned this year too. It has been a turmultuous year for many of us (me included) here I am wishing for a quieter 2018 for us all xx

54 REPLIES 54

Re: Lessons for the year

Great idea @greenpea

You've learned some good things this year

What on earth have I learned? - I should've taken notes

1. I contradicted my therapist - and that was good. I actually often did but this was the first time I said anything out loud - but alas - that was the last time I saw her - ah - she moved interstate

2. Getting lost in other cities is the best part of my holiday

3. Having a third arthroscopy on my knee was harder than the other two because I am older and have       scar issue - that's why it hurt more

4. Troubles and stress seem to gang up and arrive at the same time - and of course this is a bother but     it's normal

5. Like you - some people like my sister don't like me - I can't change it so I move on - we have that in         common Greenpea and it doesn't diminish us unless we let it

6. My favourite - I found the mute button on my new remote control and can turn the sound of when           those annoying ads come on

Maybe I could have learned some of these earlier but hey - I needed something other than academic facts to learn in my old age

Love it Greenpea

Dec

Hey @Owlunar OMG! couple of things came to me 

1.' I contradicted my therapist - and that was good. I actually often did but this was the first time I said anything out loud - ...' I have never done this lol. I just sit there and think 'You don't know what you are talking about' I smile and say nothing lol. I should take a leaf out of your book and actually stand up and say something ... I don't know why I don't ...

2. 'Getting lost in other cities is the best part of my holiday' That took so much bravery to do that. I don't think I could cope with that right now. Even driving into places that I know stresses me out ... 

3. Operation on your knee took real stamina and guts it is hard when you are getting older and as you said you have scar tissue which makes it all the more painful. Well done on coping with all of that.

4.  Dealing with troubles and stresses as you say ganging up all at the same time is as I tell my kids Murphy's Law. No choice but to deal with it aye?

5. Our sisters ... it is a shame isn't it ...let's move on 

6 You found the mute button!!!!! Go girl!!!!! Pesky ads!

That is do cool @greenpea - thanks for that

And getting lost in other cities - I don't even drive now - I walk everywhere and in three cities now I have had to get a taxi to take me back to what I know - or the hotel

I love the mute-button

Dec

Love this thread @greenpea and @Owlunar

Lessons I've learned this year:

• to identify and acknowledge and own and speak about my emotions and feelings
  • to not feel guilty about reaching out for help when I'm in crisis mode, or even if I'm not in crisis mode
  • to trust that my therapist and my support people at work aren't going to hurt me
  • I am not a bad person (still working on that one)
  • as I head toward 60, I'm invisible so can virtually do as I like and nobody cares (now that's liberating)
  • to keep trying, no matter how hard that can be at times (still working on that one, too. Enough said.)
  • that these forums are a safe place for me to chat or just vent.

@NatalieS beautiful NatalieS I always like hearing from you because in many ways you remind me of my mother, who was in a similar position to you. So I watched her cope like you are coping without a complaint just like my mother. In any event ... the 50s plus are liberating ... I will have a second piece of cake with double cream thank you very much!

Excellent @NatalieS - these are so great

I love some of these - not to feel guilty about reaching out for help when you are in crisis mode even when you are not -

Excellect - that is really good thinking - how come I never thought of that?
And you are not a bad person - 

Of course you are not a bad person - I think we get this idea drummed into us when we were children - not good at all - in fact - one thing I learned was I didn't know right from wrong until I was told I was naughty unstead of getting a spanking - true

As you head toward 60 you have become invisible and can do what you like - 
so you are invisible - that is so fantastic - I think I have become mute because so many people tell me what I was going to say and finish my sentences for me - hey - maybe the time has come to say what I like. I'm a bit older than you too - what a great idea for the future

Great lessons Nat 

Dec

@greenpea,thankyou lovely greenpea, my new friend Lil Bro, who just dropped out of the sky into my lap (well, who I met on the bus) 3 or 4 weeks ago as I think I've mentioned, arrived at the perfect time for me-Christmas time, which is difficult-but gives me a reason to care for someone else like a Big Sis does. And I tell him how excited I am to have a brother.  He is battling a number of issues, as we all are, and he is so aware of personal space and is such good company.  We have shared so much of our stories in such a short time and he makes me laugh, so catching up a couple of times a week for coffee and to talk for an hour or so benefits both of us. He is very kind and we are good for each other as we support each other (and both love chocolate and icecream). So another lesson I've learnt in a very short time is no matter the age difference, or what people think, he IS my brother, and as there's no sex involved (am I allowed to say that?) it truly is a meeting of the minds.  Now I DO sound like a teenager in love!

PS:  Yes please, to the cake and cream, but no thanks, I won't have sugar in my coffee

@Owlunar

Yes, those things drummed into our heads never go away.

Heart

@NatalieS it is so wonderful that you have met someone like that and yes even better it is a meeting of the minds ... goodness you never know where this could go though ... you must keep us up-to-date! you haven't mentioned if he is good looking ... anyways ...

No worries with the coffee I like my black and strong the European way.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us