Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Labels

oh yes... i had a similar issue myself @Sahara - i was prescribed an antipsychotic as an adjunct to treat Major Depression and help me to sleep but because pbs only allow it for schizophrenia ... was very tricky (im not sure but i think it may have been expanded now over the last few years...).
Then with labels there is the whole issue of different opinions and different psychiatrists all having a different diagnosis for the same person... and the fact that once labelled with something others will only view in that light even if you no longer fit a particular diagnosis any more... its a tricky old world to navigate that is for sure.

@Former-Member I see that as similar to what happens in non-mental health illnesses.  I read a story in a paper many, many years ago where a lady said she would go into the hospital for her chemotherapy.  There was a lot of support for the women with breast cancer because it was so well publicised and funded, but nobody really wanted to know too much about the other types of cancer.  She joked that she didn't even warrant a "brown ribbon" to support bowel cancer.  The paper interview another person who was there due to lung cancer, and even though the individual had never smoked a day in their lives, there was still that perception coming from others that if they had lung cancer it must have been their own fault.  

I do feel so very bad when people are overlooked in the medical system because their illness/disability is not as you say "in vogue".  Five or ten years ago it was ADHD for children, now it has moved on to Autism and Aspergers.  Funding always seems to move in conjunction with trend and as you say, so many children and adults that need support are left without.  

hi @esprit i have been having this sampe conversation lately myself. im currently in hospital dealingwith my stuff and had a discussion with my nurse. i believe labels are a necessary evil but also a very personal thing. sadly to getthe assistancewe need in terms of funding etc especially for academic or ndis purposes we need the labels. how we use the labels pn the other hand is up to us. i am diagnosed bipolar , borderline personality and senspry processing disorder. NowBipolar i will tell anyone who asks. Borderline on the other hand, im very choosy who i tell due to the ongoing stigma that comes with it. 

I dont think its a ones size fits all but case by case basis. I personally like the label as it helps me understand whats going on from an intellectual point of view. However, having said that i dont live and die by the label either. As much as i hate to admit it being borderline there are grey areas.

esprit
Senior Contributor

So sorry to hear your in hospital. I hope everything goes well. I always find the same thing, if I know what's wrong I can address it. It's just societal opinion or misinformed people that put a negative on a label. Stay well. X
ivana
Senior Contributor

Labels are only useful when they are used as a guide for which treatment (such as medication,therapy,lifestyle changes etc) would be helpful for that particular set of symptoms.

They become stigmatising when they are used as "ends to themselves" or when the persons identity is seen as being their label.

Ie:there are many patients experiences where they have had to jump through hoops to receive a diagnosis-attend many different appointments where doctors have "liased" etc only for at the end of all this(sometimes months on end) been offered no treatment.

In these cases,the labelling serves the doctor/s more than the patients.

Likewise there are some doctors who once they know of a patients mental health diagnosis,view the patient as being their diagnosis instead of as being a whole being.

Eg:a patient with an Anxiety diagnosed might be denied medical help when they have Cardiac symptoms or a patient with Schizophrenia might be referred to as "the paranoid schizophrenic".

Regarding Pauline Hanson,I'm of the view that segregating children with Autism in special schools does nothing to encourage acceptance from others and instead reinforces stigma.

Yes,there are challenges by not doing this,however it is these challenges that should be addressed such as providing teachers with better training how to understand children with Autism and making them feel more settled and having effective anti bullying programmes.

It seems that Paulines motive is primarily driven by the desire to compete better with the Asian countries academically.

However,is it really a good thing to want to be academically number 1 against countries where kids are overworked/overstudied and under often under a great amount of stress?

Maybe Australia should instead seek to be number 1 based on the measurement of how we treat those less advantaged then ourselves.

To me,to be so concerned about becoming internationally number 1 in science and maths,while neglecting people with disabilities,mental illnesses,disadvantaged indigenous etc (or shunting them away) seems to me like a sad society,

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us