Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Lostblue
Casual Contributor

Hello

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure what to write really, and I hope this is the right place to post this msg.

Firstly, I want to say that I'm sorry, but I haven't read other people's comments/stories on here. It's not that I don't care (quite the opposite), but I know from past attempts to join msg boards etc. that I tend to read other people's stories and feel awful about the kind of things they are dealing with, and then I feel that I have no reason to feel down, if these people are managing to struggle on, why can't I, etc. etc so I don't end up posting at all. So please know that I do care about what others are going through, and do wish I could help, even though my not reading others' stories might suggest otherwise. I do send my support and hope everyone is doing ok as much as possible, and that today is a nice day for you.

So now that's said, I guess I should say something about why I'm actually posting here, and yes I do tend to ramble on (please feel free to skip my msgs).

It's hard to sum up, but I am really struggling lately. I try so hard, at least on the ok/better days, but I just feel overwhelmed, frustrated, sad, hurt, upset generally. And very lonely/alone lately. I have been diagnosed in the past with depression and anxiety, not on any meds though was for about 2-3 yrs in the past. I've struggled with thinking too much and levels of depression since about the age of 8-9 I would say. Now 31.

I don't really know where to start, so will try to list some things that may explain my story/situation a bit (no particular order):

- my mum (the tough one who keeps going no matter what and supports everyone else) came home this morning from eye appts and just looked so... frail... :'( I gave her a hug and asked if I could do anything but she said she was ok, but she looked so tired and just sort of small suddenly, and it just made me so worried about her, I realised I would be devastated if anything happened to her (I mean I already knew that, but this sort of drove it home) and that I was terrified of that. She said she actually had been lying down to rest for a few minutes before I realised she was home (she never rests, even with flu etc).

- yes I live at home, with my parents and brother (who is studying). We are a close family and get along well mostly, but of course there is that judgement that comes with being 31 and living at home, and I have my own space but would obviously do things a bit differently if I lived elsewhere. I very much appreciate my family's support and kindness, and I do pay a small amount of board/rent each week.

- I have a relatively uncommon degenerative genetic condition that was only diagnosed in the last few yrs (despite signs since childhood, that no one put together), and tbh I am still coming to terms with it in ways. It is not life threatening, but does involve chronic pain, fatigue/trouble sleeping and various other things (won't go into detail here). It is quite unpredictable, effects-wise. There is very little support/knowledge available in Aust - most doctors have never even heard of it.

- my (ex)bf and I recently split up (mutual decision, more or less). I feel it was probably for the best, in the long term, and it's probably been coming for a while tbh, but it's so so hard atm. He also struggles with depression etc and has been dealing with a quite serious addiction this year (past history, from before I knew him, but it has got a hold again this year with a vengeance). I love and care about him very much, and we are basically each other's best friends, but it's been an awkward situation. We still talk/msg every day and catch up at least once a week, and really we are the main emotional support in each other's lives (neither of us has any really close friends - well I have one, but she has her own issues), but of course I worry about this, and if it is the best thing to do, etc etc. I don't feel anything for him on a sexual level any more, and I genuinely consider him like family to me. I want to support him as much as possible to get through what he's dealing with, but I struggle with knowing the right thing to do, or if I'm making things worse, etc. Plus I don't want take advantage of him or rely on him (and have been being careful not to). We have both hurt each other this year (mostly unintentionally), and the level of trust is not as it once was, but we are still close, and still take comfort in one another and try to help each other. I don't know if this is a good thing, but it's how it is atm, and we have discussed it a bit. I don't see the point of us both sitting alone miserable in our rooms if we could perhaps support each other and actually motivate each other to go out and do something. On the other hand, I am scared of getting stuck in that comfortable rut and not really getting over each other. It's a really hard call to make, and I worry about acting selfishly and also about bringing him down with my own issues, but I also know he doesn't really have any one else (no one else knows about the addiction atm except his medical professionals) and I want to make sure he has someone to talk to or call if he needs to. We both know and agree that we need to make new/more friends, but it's difficult sometimes, and hard to find motivation. He seems to be making some progress in getting the addiction under control, but serious depression is creeping in to take its place, which has the effect of driving him back occasionally in an attempt to find some kind of relief. On some levels, I absolutely understand it and feel tempted on occasion myself. Obviously I can't tell him that though. **Please note I am not supporting, encouraging, or condoning any kind of drug use, beyond appropriate prescription meds, if that's something that helps you.

-Ok, moving on. I struggle with serious depression myself, yes I have some thoughts of suicide, but I also have sort of decided/promised myself not to take that route, on account of the pain it would probably cause others. It's really really hard sometmes though, as I'm sure many people here would know 😕 I struggle to find meaning in life, and with many thoughts related to existential depression (which is something I only realised probably this year, and explains a bit why I have had minimal success with mental health people in the past I think). Unfortunately this is not stuff that goes away by changing your immediate situation, or with meds. (and yes I know there is certainly some situational-type depression too). I also get quite anxious sometimes, though I've improved this last few yrs. I wake up anxious sometimes though, which is a horrible feeling I wouldn't wish on anyone.

- I feel generally lost and overwhelmed much of the time. I lack the goals and clarity I seemed to have when I was younger, and I don't know how to get that drive and motivation back. I am degree qualified and academically smart, according to the marks, but I work in admin for a company not related to my field. Nothing wrong with that, and mostly it is ok, but it is not what I really want to be doing, or have passion for. THe problem is that I don't know what that is either. Also, I earn relatively little money (work casually, very low wages tbh and I am owed about 5mths pay + 2.5 yrs super - yes I am trying to follow that up, and I know I need to address it). However, my boss is really nice, very flexible and supportive, we get on well, and the work is ethical - all things that are important to me, especially flexibility (for my health) and ethical work. I want to pick up some extra work, just to earn some more money, but I honestly am not sure what to do. I worked casual retail for a bit last yr, but had to give it up on account of the pain/fear of making my condition worse, and the limited hrs I could do per shift. I sound like I am just whingeing, and I'm so sorry for that, I know I am so lucky in many many ways, especially compared with many others. I am grateful for all the good things in my life, and I do appreciate the positive things I have.

- there are other things, but this is way too long already (thank you so much to anyone who's actually read it! If not, I totally understand and it's been therapeutic to write in ways anyway), and I am pretty tired now and should actually go do some work.

- if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks so much and best wishes to you all, I hope things improve, no matter your situation.

5 REPLIES 5
BlueBells
Senior Contributor

Re: Hello

Hi there Lost Blue 🙂

Yep, long post, I read a fair bit of it though 🙂

Living at home...no big deal, not that uncommon now, so don't let it bug you.

I haven't time to go through you post again slowly (at work, as it were) but I did notice one thing.

quote "Also, I earn relatively little money (work casually, very low wages tbh and I am owed about 5mths pay + 2.5 yrs super - yes I am trying to follow that up, and I know I need to address it). However, my boss is really nice, very flexible and supportive, we get on well, and the work is ethical "

Well, if the boss is that "nice" and everything so "ethical".....where are the "nice ethics" to be found in the way you are simply being ripped off?

I suppose I tend to see anything re wages / employment more than some because as an employer, I could never rip someone off like that, never, and it cheeses me off when I hear of it happening to someone .

That's not to say I've never experienced being ripped off by employees. It really hurts when you do the best and get treated badly, and I believe it goes both ways.

In all of your post, I'm not sure that you mentioned a counsellor. Might be worth finding one, so you can chat face-to -face, and also get some suggestions on what other avenues of assistance you may have out there.

All the best, take care 🙂

BlueBells
Senior Contributor

oops, forgot that little '@' @Lostblue
This will alert you to the reply 🙂
cheers
Lostblue
Casual Contributor

@BlueBellsHi BlueBells, thanks so much for your reply, and for reading some of my post (I know it was super long).

Yes, that is a fair point you make about the work situation. Funny thing is, I wouldn't stand for it on behalf of anyone else (no matter the situation), but I am a lot less assertive in that situation and much better at advocating for others than myself. Probably something linked to the depression issues again. I have brought this up with my employer and there is a plan to make the payments. I will give it a couple of weeks and if not resolved, I want to tell the employer I will have to stop working until payments are up to date. I know it sounds like I'm being taken advantage, of but I also know that some of it is my own fault (I allowed it to build up a bit because I hate confrontation/feel uncomfortable bringing it up). My employer is genuinely nice, and is very upset about it himself, but the money simply isn't there atm. I do trust that the payments owing will eventually be made, just depends when. It is a mostly non-profit (at the moment) company, with big plans to help a lot of people at no cost to them, but the cashflow/activities that actually bring money in are quite limited currently. It's hard because I can see both sides of the issue. Also, I tend to keep working because a) it helps keep me busy/gives me something to do, and b) it's work that I can do (I get very down sometimes thinking about the stuff that I can no longer do physically or that's not good for me to do). As well as that, I do need some money, that's my only income source atm. I know I should have/be looking for a new job, etc, and I have no real excuses there, just that it hasn't really been a priority lately. 

I am also hoping to go the doc soon and get a psych referral/mental care plan thing, and possibly consider some kind of life coaching too. I was going to try a free counselling service (went before for a while), but sadly they are closing down now. Thank you for your support, and best wishes to you.

Hi @Lostblue

First and foremost, Welcome to the Forums! Smiley Happy We have a wonderful and supportive community here, who wish to help all members no matter what their struggle may be, so I'm so happy you reached out here for support and to talk about your experiences (even when you feel others may have greater struggles than you).

It sounds like you have gone through so much - my heart goes out to you! Heart It seems like depression and anxiety have been a long-term struggles for you. To make it harder, you said such feelings are, at the moment, paired with a sense of feeling overwhelmed, sad, frustrated and lonely (that is a lot of heavy emotions there!); whilst, adding thoughts of suicide that also come up for you, from time to time.

It must be especially tough at the moment, given your mother came home yesterday looking quite frail after her eye appointment. It is heart-breaking to see the ones we love when they are not 100% health-wise. Same applies to your ex-partner who you broke up with recently, who you say you are still very close to (despite some trust issues) and liken them to family. I can imagine that seeing him struggle with addiction would be very painful; thus, wanting to be there for him more than ever - especially given that he has very limited social supports. You sound like an incredibly caring daughter and friend (post-girlfriend). In this vein, I just wish to ask, if there is anything you do to take care of yourself in the midst of being there for you family, or your ex-partner? 

It also sounds like you have mixed feelings around your current employment situation - i.e., feel that you need to find other work that is more meaningful, consistent and pays you on time, and at better rate. However, on the other hand, you feel like your boss is a nice person who feels terrible about paying you late, due to the financial struggles that sometimes come up in the non-for profit business sector. Ideally, what changes in your working life do you want, or do you see would be helpful, at the moment? Would you be interested in seeking legal advice about your pay being late? This might not be on your agenda for now, and that's OK, but if situations change, please feel free to call the SANE Help Centre (1800 18 7263) to link you in with any referrals that you feel would be beneficial to you.

Also, I'm glad that you are considering to reach out to a mental health professional and get a mental health plan. It sounds like the help you received from the free counselling service was somewhat fruitful for you - it is a shame they shut down!

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm sure others reading your post will feel that your expressed gratitude for the positives in your life, and your care for others, is both heartwarming and inspiring - I definitely do! Heart

Kindest Regards,

Amour_Et_Psyché

Hello @Lostblue, @BlueBells 

how are you today Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us