Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

oceangirl
Senior Contributor

Doctor of choice

Hi there,

I am meant to go into a private hospital in just over four weeks time- I have requested the same Dr from my last admission- they said they can't guarantee I will see this Dr, depending on numbers when I am admitted etc. I am feeling a bit disappointed. I don't know what to say to them?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Doctor of choice

Hi there @oceangirl, do you visit the doctor from your last admission outside the hospital?  For me, I insisted on seeing my regular psychiatrist when I was admitted to a private hospital (he consulted there) to maintain my continuity of care, and although I had to wait a few extra days before my first consultation, I got to see him.  

Let the staff at the hospital know how important it is for you and your health to see the same doctor, and I am sure they will do their best to accomodate your wishes.  If it is a private hospital, then I am sure you should have an important say in the management of your health.

Hi @MagicAnt

No I don't visit the Doctor outside of the hospital- as the hospital is interstate. I have delayed my admission because I am going overseas and prefer to be admitted when I return because I am landing back in Australia interstate, it made sense to be admitted then.

Most Doctors admit there regular patients and I would have requested to see my regular treating Dr too, for the reasons you have stated- continuity of care.

When I phoned them yesterday I requested to be under her care and today I phoned the person who did the assessment, and she said that they can't guarantee I will see the Dr I requested because of numbers(how many patients she is seeing when I am admitted).

I think I have given them enough notice ie 4 weeks to ensure I have the same Dr- I could phone and speak to the intake manager and put my wishes forward to her. I though the patient had the choice of Dr when being admitted into a private hospital.

Hi @oceangirl

Put your request in writing with your reasons for wanting this doctor. Once you've put it in writing you have a record of your request whereas speaking to someone on the phone doesn't guarantee that the person you speak to will make a note of your request.
Written records are always a good practice. Hugzzz 🎶💕🎶

Hi @Kurra

Good to hear from you. The person who I spoke to, said to me she put a note in my clinical notes. The other option I phone the intake manager and ask what the process is to make sure I am talking to the right person? I think I will be disappointed if I don't see her that is my only concern. I know I should have no expectations that way I will not be hurt or disappointed.

Are you still taking the same medication??

How far back are you going with that question @oceangirl?

I think about 12 months ago, on the BB board @Kurra 

Ahaa. No I'm on no meds specifically for bipolar now. I'm so well I don't need them. I'm on one for anxiety that is absolute magic and one for epilepsy although it's 45 years since I had a seizure @oceangirl. The other meds I take are for physical illnesses.

It mite be the one for anxiety (lex***o) . I think you said it helped with sleep too. I am so happy that you are doing so well. Atm I can't see the progress I have made @Kurra

Spot on @oceangirl. Often we're the last ones to notice the change. You've come a long way since we first met. 😃
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us