Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Techunique
Senior Contributor

Back again, an apology is in order.

I'm in the middle of a very rough period where my mental health is concerned (hopefully nearer the tail end, actually.) I'm in a period of extremely heavy hallucination, delusion, and major depressive trends. I've recently learned that my diagnosis may have been wrong and if this is proven to be true, then I have been taking pills that exacerbate my condition for over a decade. I don't know whether I ought to hope for or dread the validity of the new paradigm I'm faced with. I am hopeful that if the new diagnosis is more accurate I wil be able to take medication that makes a real difference. I dread hearing it is true because of the counteractive effects of my current medications, I also don't want to face the idea that my deteriorating memory and connection with reality may be irreversable and permanent. There's really nothing I can do right now except to push through until a clear indicator is seen.

On top of that my living situation has become a matter of great concern, both to me and to those who I live with. I've recently moved a thousand miles or so to have a better chance at saving up some money to increase my quality of life and be ahead of bills. However, my mother is quite disorganized and it has taken a very deep toll on my mental state to be either in her disorganization or constantly running around behind her straightening everything she touches, and so I have had to leave my new home of two months and move in with her sister. Unfortunately I don't have a very large amount of time in This living situation and so in a relatively short amount of time I will have to move out. Again. This time into what my therapist calls an "assissted living situation" what my mother calls a "group home" and what I call a "halfway house." It represents, to me, the pinnacle of what I've been trying to avoid since first realizing my reality and the reality of everyone I know and associate with did not equate. I know that it does not reflect badly on me in an objective sense but I can't help but think that my personal identity and social identity are going to be very deeple effected by this, when I move in my home will now be a statement of my lack of mental control and, seeing as non-mentally ill people are not even allowed to visit or be told the address, my social identity and social circle will now also be defined by my illness. I'm quite distraught about all of this, but there is no other option I have available that isn't returning to homelessness a thousand miles away from the culture I understand how to operate in, or going financially bankrupt after two months of a more appealing living situation.

Be all of that as it may, I feel I reacted to the beginning of this situation in a very thoughtless and irresponsible manner. I allowed my distress to overwhelm my logic and compassion, and made the extremely moody comments that comprised my last posts. Realizing that my posts could very possibly trigger any number of you, my peers, I decided some time isolated from electronic communication were probably most wise. I understood that the damage may have been already done but I had already committed myself to not using the internet or phone and I felt that if I returned to delete the posts my emotions might well override my silence and so i allowed them to stay. I apologize to you from the deepest section of the lowest sub-basement at the bottom of my heart, regardless of whether you were triggered or not, it was rash and irresponsible of me to have allowed selfish emotion control my actions, especially where your safety and wellbeing are concerned. It is my sincere wish to assisst each of you in conquering your obstacles and this was my primary reason for joining your community, an objective I completely failed in this instance. However, though I freely admit that I am stilll quite deeply unhappy and that this is one of the hardest periods of my life to date, I am once again in a position of more tenuous control over my emotions and faculties and I swear to you that my dedication to my mission to better your lives in whatever way I can has only redoubled with this failure. I truly hope that my words have not caused undue amounts of damage to you and regardless of whether they have or not I would like to invite each of you to consider me your personal friend, confidante, or whatever it is that you require and I am able to provide. I'm sorry. Not in a dejected or self-pitying manner, in a manner of resolve to improve, grim though it may be. Thank you for your support and solidarity.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Back again, an apology is in order.

@Techunique Hi very nice to meet you Smiley Happy We haven't met before but let me say that I too have said and done things I am not proud of when I am psychotic. What can you do but apologise to those around you and give yourself a big hug, because you know the people that count will be there for you. No one is perfect, we all make mistakes, as long as we try and learn from them and try and not repeat them (and I empathize Try) that is all that matters. That is my few cents worth ... I hope it helps to make you feel a wee bit better. Look forward to talking with you on the threads xx

Hi @Techunique
I read posts here and have the view to be objective. It works for me on this forum, at work, with a support group, my living situation. It sometimes works for me with family and close friends.
My MI and its affects I can chat with others here and read how others live with a MI.
My trauma I speak with my pyschologist and tell my mind that I have that time to 'deal' with it and 'offload'.
My medical needs with my health I have mental health services and GP.

I try not to step over boundaries here and I've read the community guidelines. It can be frustrating for me to want to say something on a topic but in 'hindsight' ?? this is not always the forum for me to do that. There is variables to that versus 'triggers for others' it may be 'confrontational' and 'personal safety'.
No one has said that to me. I just think that and what I've read on community guidelines.

This site is anonymous. I will not make a friend here. I will not work with others to raise 'great' issues that come out of comments here.

I do get hope. I do get empathy. I do feel less alone. I do get friendliness and laughter. I do get information.

That is just how I see it here on Sane forums.

Nice to meet you too! I can truly say the pleasure is mine.

It makes me feel a lot more than a wee bit better, a whole lot. I often forget to be patient with myself, remembering that "Try" is good enough and that trying is the only way to succeed is a key lesson I need to keep in mind.

It's true, we are anonymous. I probably never will meet you, if I do I will most likely not know that I have, but your words have helped me, both in understanding and in feeling better that someone else understands; even though we will never hang out and talk about this in person, I consider you a great friend and ally in my struggle already.

You have given me some hope, and you have given empathy to me. You have made me feel less alone by being friendly. I cannot think of anything that could possibly be greater to me. I feel like we often lose sight of what is truly important out of all life's experiences, each other. If you were the only human on the planet, there would be little else on your mind than another human and how wonderful it would be to feel their presence, I imagine. Quite often I feel like the only human on the planet, or the only one I can relate to and during those times my life feels like all purpose has been sucked out of it. Coming here for me has been like Thinking I'm the only one, only to wake up one morning and finding a hand written note that says
"I love You" It intrigues me, it excites me, it makes me realize that even though I don't have someone whom I can sit down with and find understanding in my day to day life, that someone is there, someone understands, someone wants to help. That's the strength I need to keep on trying sometimes. I thank you for that, and it is my highest goal to provide for others what you and others like you here have provided for me.

Also, I hear you about practicing mindfulness. There is a time and place for everything and this is not always the place for me to vent everything.

Hi @Techunique. It's interesting to see you say that 'we often lose sight of what is truly important out of all life's experience's'....I see it as:

Life experiences shape us and at times determine which direction we go in life. People respond to crisis in their particular way.(big topic just there) When there is a time of 'calm' so to speak, reflection will often happen.

For me what is important to me..is to find a sense of 'being' 'existence' 'making sense of the world I live in'....
I dont feel fuzzy feelings in knowing or understanding that it gives me a image of 'who I am'...

My comment may sound sad or well? sad lol but my world of 'chaos' is simply that...'chaotic'

It is inspiring you mention 'I love you' and you recognise that understanding is of high value to you. I've not had rolemodels of 'love' and it at times dumbfounds me. But that is not unusual for victims of 'childhood trauma'.

Rational thinking, Collabrative thinking, Creative thinking, Logical thinking...makes the whole picture vivid and validates me as a 'being'...I'm working on the 'fuzzy' stuff

My family tell me I overthink. My 2 close friends say that too. It makes me wanna 'pull their ears'...aahh well

Yeah, people in my support group say I overthink too. I wish I could give them thirty seconds in my head, I wouldn't wish a full minute on them, I'd just like them to understand the cacophony of non-existant audio I am constantly under the assault of, let them see the visual chaos. Everyone seems to think they understand what I'm going through, they act like everyone goes through it. I developed my illness at 17, I know the difference. That's probably the hardest part. If I had never known an orderly outer world I could believe them when they say they understand. At any rate, I have to soldier on, maybe one day I'll find some peace. I hope so, even if I don't believe it.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us