Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

daisy20202-7
Senior Contributor

need some advice

hi everyone.

as most of you know by now that am hoping in the next 5-10 years to buy something cheap to do up or build and/or do some handyman jobs on a house.

most ideal solution to be able to do handyman jobs on a house would be to buy your own or maybe have a friend or family with things needing to be done but at moment dont have a big enough deposit and no one in family needs anything major done and not in a position to change jobs at moment.

and while the grandmothers house is in need of alot of things she cant afford the repairs at moment and the aunts house is at age where its starting to need a repaint and a few bits and pieces she cant afford anything substantial at moment either and her yards not big enough to put a tiny house on wheels there or with heaps sheds one having toilet and shower to be able to put some walls up otherwise that would work good but yards not big enough and just trying to hang on.

not in any hurry to get out the aunts as am happy living there at moment just trying to sort the most important problems out first and then just do rest bit by bit.

not in a position to change jobs at moment where you could test and tag, maybe do a few small handyman jobs here and there and am planning to in the next 5 years or so.

is there anything that could be done that will allow you to hang on until you can buy your own property and/or change jobs and do something else

dont really want to have to cover the costs for the grandmothers or aunts houses just to be able to do things even though a few dollars might just be ok as its alot of money and you might as well put that towards your own.

with things like stoves and basins and sinks and stuff would it be worth buying them now and put them away or would they likely become obsolete in 10 years.

already started collecting a few electrical fittings as cant see things changing with that much in 10 years.

just seems like things will never happen as quick as youd like it to if at all

thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Re: need some advice

Hi @daisy20202-7 , I don't know the answers, but I'm wondering if there are any handyman or renovator groups you could join that might give you the answers? Maybe google for some, or search on Facebook? They might also have some answers to your housing questions? 

Good luck...

Hi @daisy20202-7 

I know how you feel Im trying to save for a deposit too..  I sold my properties due to financial difficulties but now want to buy a home for my son.  

In my experience dont by stoves as they rust if you dont use them .. if you store the items make sure its not in a damp area as it will ruin the items.

What I plan to do is buy land that is cheap to avoid stamp duty and then build or buy a tiny house..

What do you think?

I was lucky, I got in early in property market, bought my nice top floor Sydney unit for $155,000 in 1995. Thankfully live here now, no rent, no debt, peace of mind. 

Hi @daisy20202-7 

I'm wondering if a granny flat is something you would consider or a flat packed house? I suppose they are cheaper options but would allow you to have your own space.. 

have thought about buying cheap land thats atleast 1200m2 preferably bigger when the time comes and putting tiny house or small 3 bedroom with ensuite.

which would make more sense out of following

1. buy a old rundown place and either fix up or pull down start again and put sheds there if the yard hasent already got it (youd have to be able to get approval for a shed as house would have been on it for years).

2. buy a vacant land and build to lockup stage so you can put sheds there and finish off house later (would banks have problems lending for block and small house built to lockup stage and ifso would they lend to diy person if they could show a tafe certificate and they did the finishing off themselves and just got someone in to do those few things you need a tradie for, would banks lend for transportables and tiny homes as well as cement base home build).

3. try to find a block with a shed and build new place

with the first home buyers grant how does it work, have heard you got to buy or build new house to get it which might explain why cousins got a brand new house when they bought theirs as think you have to buy or build new and they probably needed that grant to be able to buy

also what are clues that people experience to know its time to think about getting your own place and what do people do until they can afford to buy to be able to have their own space.

sometimes need own space but cant afford to buy and the property that am living at isnt big enough for a tiny house otherwise it may work.

every time you book a cabin work gets in the way and the place is always short staffed and dont want to be working nearly 7 days a week between voluntry and paid work, what could be done if you dont want to give up either, would it be a good idea to start planning the next paid work move now even if you dont do anything tomorrow as itll probably take 5 years to get things running and probably wont last more than that anyway. just had enough of the unsociable hours and just hanging on until time is right.

also am at age of wanting own space but cant afford to buy and dont want to rent and be limited.

the tiny house idea in some way would work for now but yard is not big enough otherwise it would have been done a long time ago

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us