Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Yucky pucky water!

@Ant7 What kind of exercise do you do Ant7?

@Shaz51 Hi Shaz51 what is CKD? Yes you can definately join in! 😄

@outlander outlander that sounds super healthy! I wil definately give it a go. Thanks 😄

@greenpea mainly mountain biking and hiking but I do a bit of surfing and Swimming and I just started running to

@Ant7 Wow! That is fantastic. Sounds wonderful. I used to go to the gym alot but it is kind of boring for me now ... I used to run but my feet now have injuries ... I think I am the wrong shape to run so now I walk. I should get out now before it gets too hot and go for a walk.

@greenpea sounds good
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi there @greenpea, and good on you with this new 'drink more water' kick of yours.  I see you are adding a few followers to the group as well, which is nice to see - hi @Ant7 @Former-Member @Shaz51.

In the absence of Shaz51, I can advise that CKD means Chronic Kidney Disease.  My husband also has it, and needs to drink plenty of water in order to eliminate wastes and toxins through the kidneys. Lots of water is advised until the later stages of the disease, such as when dialysis is needed, and then all fluid is  restricted.

Anyway getting back to the water.  How many of you like room temperature water?  I know it is recommended that we drink water at room temp, but really I cannot tolerate it unless its chilled.  From the fridge I can guzzle it no problems, but not room temp.  

Sherry

@Former-Member Hi Sherry! How much water does your husband hae to drink daily and does it have to be straight water or can he drink it with cordial etc?

Funny I love room temperature water hehehehehe! I cannot tolerate cold water .... why is it better to drink room temperature water and not cold?

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @greenpea.

Mixed reasons about room temp or cold water.  But in general it is accepted that cold water is not as good for hydration as room temperature water. The theory being that the cold water causes the blood vessels surrounding stomach to shrink, which slows absorpsion.

Its been suggested that room temperature or body temperature water is better than cold water, because the body has to expend energy to heat cold water to body temperature, resulting in some water loss. On the other hand, some doctors say that after physical exertion, you should drink cold water since it will help cool the body more effectively than room temperature water.

On the other hand, people who drink cold water are likely to consume more of it, since its more palatable and more satisfying cold. So, even though drinking cold water results in marginal water loss, the extra water you will probably drink will help make up for this.

As for the amount of water we should all drink, I think its 8 glasses of water per day. My husband drinks that much at least.

Sherry

thank you @greenpea, @Former-Member 

I have stage 4 kidney disease and one kidney

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us