Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Genetic testing for meds suitability??

Hi @Shaz51, thanks for touching base.
I hope you are doing well.
Doglover ☺

keep tagging me @Doglover Heart

Sounds like you do have quite a team @Doglover. We hope that you'll be able to find the right people that work with you, no matter what system you choose to go through.

A community builder is someone whose focus is to chat in the community but isn't a moderator. Smiley Very Happy

and loving having @Ali11  here to help xoxo

Thanks @Shaz51! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks @Shaz51 .

Not sure how this works. If someone has commented on a thread, or supported it, do u then tag them in to each subsequent post in that thread?

Still new to this ☺

Hi again @Doglover (also cool name!)

I hear you with the challenges in not responding well to medications and how difficult it can be to not have that respected or be supported through it. My GP mentioned genetic testing during a time when I had CATT intervention (and was fighting that badly). I felt like CATT were pushing meds that I know I don't respond well to and I was worried about meds making things worse for me as I was so down and out I knew it wouldn't take much to tip me over. GP wanted to find out whether anything might work as far as meds go but also wanted hard evidence to demonstrate that certain medications weren't the way to go as our anecdotal evidence (frustratingly) seemed to not be enough. I think there are a number of us who have had experiences with medical professionals not listening to the or completely disregarding the impact of side effects and what they can do to us.

I'm sorry to hear your GP and pdoc don't seem very understanding or supportive 🙁 It's taken a while for me to find a GP that is really understanding of mental health but having her as part of my team has made a huge difference. We have a community health organisation here and they have GPs as part of the services they offer. I found out about them from my mental health worker who worked for the same organisation. Is there anything like that near you that you might be able to look into for a new GP (seeing as yours is leaving)? I also hear you with how tricky it can be to have a support team that's not very supportive. I feel most shaky when I am not doing so well and my supports are not working well either.

It's really hard when you're going through times like it sounds you are. Are there any non-medical things that you find helpful? People/pets (dogs im guessing)/hobbies/distractions/talk therapies etc?

I'm happy to share anything (probably) but the short version story is that I've struggled for a long while now and have had that struggle turn quite serious at times. I have had experiences with the system and mental health professionals of all kinds that have been really helpful and experiences that have been far from helpful. I've had many times thinking that nothing will get better and nothing will work too, and feeling incredibly hopeless about it. I'm getting there though and over the last 6ish months especially, I have noticed big shifts in the way things are working within me. It's made me see and genuinely believe that things can and do change and can get better. That's my tiny bit of encourgement for you.

It's great you're here @Doglover. There's a lot of encourgement and understanding here, and stories of people making it through challenges that can feel impossible at the time.

Just in reference to the quesrion above @Doglover, you can tag as a way of notifying people of a post or reply. If you're responding to someone or asking someone a question, a tag will help them see it usually as either as a notification on the bell icon above and/or as an email depending on what settings each person has chosen. It can be easy for replies and posts to get missed on such a busy forum and especially in threads that are long or fast moving, and tags help with that 🙂

Hi @CheerBear 

I  find that sooo frustrating, that anecdotal evidence is not enough to get them to listen to you. Its our body's after all and we know whats going on with them.

I dont think we have anything like the community health team you mentioned, other than the community team that operates out of the public psychiatric hospital which is a pdoc and OT, no GP. 

Yes im very much struggling with a support team that i dont feel supported by, that doesnt put any credence in my experiences and who i dont particularly trust. I really want to do things differently but dont know how.

Things are so bad at the moment CheerBear that there's not really anything that helps. I took my dog for a walk this morning and threw the ball to her in the park, it was a nice day and i sat under a shady tree for probably an hour and a half. It was nice, but the whole time my mind was just consumed with my situation and what the heck im going to do bcoz i just dont see a way out. Will post more about what my particular concern is either on one of my other posts (more appropriate than this one) or on a new post - will tag you in.

Whar you describe in my post below is exactly whr im at at the moment - that nothing is going to work, that i just cant see a way out of this, i feel trapped, helpless, in total despair.

Im so sorry youve done it so tough for so long but very glad you can see some light at the end of the tunnel. At the moment, things just seem impossible and i just dont know where to turn or what to do.

Thanks for caring CheerBear.

@Shaz51 @Ali11 @nashy 

Sorry if theres typos, cant go back and fix them without risking losing the whole post!

I can hear how hard you're trying and how much you want things to change and be different @Doglover 🙁 That place you're in is seriously hard and I'm sorry you're stuck in it at the moment.

Listening to and hearing you.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us