Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Creating Self-Care Projects

Thanks @Shaz51 

I like the music thing a lot too @Former-Member - especially because once you have your mp3 player, you can take it anywhere. 

Love the idea of re-using brochures from travel agents @Owlunar In the past, I've used some of those free postcards you see around in libraries or other places in art projects too. There's a wealth of free resources once you develop an eye for it 🎨

Do you have any self care projects on the go at the moment @Shaz51@Former-Member?

Hi @Margot how do you do self care projects when so much other stuff is on my mind snd I can’t  shut it down. 

That's such a good question @BlueBay. In some ways, diving into self care projects can serve as useful distractions when you've got a lot happening. Distraction is a really good strategy to use while you're waiting for thoughts or feelings to pass. 

In the long term, you can utilise what you've created to help you to cope in those moments. For example, if you've created a coping playlist as a project, you might like to listen to that to help with what's going on in your mind.

Like anything though, these projects are one part of a more holistic approach to recovery, which might also involve therapy and medication, and other things too. 

If you were feeling up to a self care project at the moment @BlueBay, what would you choose to do?

@Margot 

I have two projects going at the moment. One is knitting a baby hat. The other is crochet a baby blanket. They need to be completed in the next 3 weeks. Do you think I can pick it up and continue. No because my mind sees it and it’s so consumed with stress worry and physical health. I can’t stop worrying. My stress levels are extremely high. All I do au the moment is sit and stare at the tv. 

I hate my life right now. I really do. 

Yeah @Margot At times mine is blasted in the car if I can hear the music I can’t hear anything else for a while all the the things in my head!!!!!! But then some songs can put me in my head. Sometimes it helps me feel when I feel numb and sometimes it makes me more emotional which is hard enough enough already with all the emotions but yeah.. Not on the go at the moment feeling exhausted lately so hoping to get into exercise when i have more energy and everything else settles. 

I don’t know what to do @Margot

They sound awesome @BlueBay Knitting and crochet are fantastic self care projects and I've noticed some similar projects being discussed over in Craft Corner

We all have times when a self care project may not be the best way to manage how we're feeling. In those instances, it's good to explore other strategies or connect with counselling support when you need. Remember you can always contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 for support with how you're feeling when you're usual support people aren't available. 

Take care @BlueBay and thanks for sharing your self care projects with us 🐼

Music can be so powerful like that @Former-Member I can attest to enjoying driving and listening to music too. Something particularly liberating about that. Exercise is a really valuable self care project too. I wish you all the best with it once you're feeling up to it 🌻

Thank you. When it’s loud and I am screaming it out by the top of my lungs it’s a huge release but I look sad lol @Margot

Oh well. Definately good therapy. Could another self care project be starting a diary? 

Hi @Margot and others

I think one way to make projects to help us through the bad days is to start when things are reasonable

If it's some kind of scrap book - have a corner to keep the makings - scrap books, magazines, brochures etc - while tape or glue - pens or textas - coloured pencils

And get it all there ready and start in the afternoon say and give ourselves time, music , put the cat to bed if possible - mine just loves bits of paper and pens - and start small

Coloured pencils can be used to add some graphic art

This is important - starting when things are okay

@Zoe7has suggested to me that if I buy bathers and start swimming while I am on holidays I should keep this going and it will become a habit

I agree and the same can be true of art and craft projects

We all need to start new good habits and somehow break the less useful bad habits - 

I suggest start things on the easier days and not to put them down when things are rough - these are the days to prepare for

Dec

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us