Forums Home

Who Supported this Post

Acceptance, connection, support. Share the journey.

Safe, anonymous mental health discussion, moderated 24/7 by mental health professionals.

Read the community guidelines

Who supported this Discussion

  • Author : greenpea
  • support : 1
  • Topic : Looking after ourselves
Senior Contributor

@Carerofpotsie Hi Carerofpotsie I think it all depends upon how long they are in a psych unit. If the person you care for is in for a certain period of time the magistrate then gets involved as regards to who looks after the carer's payments, disability allowance etc. I could be wrong here and I am sounding a bit vague but I do know it depends upon the time the person is in hospital for. Check with centrelink to make sure.  Cheers. gp

For urgent assistance, call:


Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 


Image credit to Louise Denton Photography


2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473   

Follow Us