Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Former-Member
Not applicable

MY HEALTH ONLINE 😱

IMG_20180718_063233.png

I'm really worried about my privacy.  Especially STIGMA as a Mental Health Consumer. Also, my toxic sister, hellvent on discrediting me, misuses info... is married to a GP & freely accesses my medical history when i asked her not to.  So disrespectful.

It would be good for convenience but we live in an unsafe world of  rights abuses, that mostly values  money above life & heart.  Medicine has become a business.  

All structures fail. 

ABC NEWS ONLINE said

Regarding the issue of people unknowingly having a record, she said about 5 million record owners would have self-registered through myGov, a Medicare enrolment form, Medicare service centre or by phone. Others may have been assisted to register by their healthcare provider such as general practice or hospital.

An additional 1 million people were enrolled during the opt-out participation trials.

The Department of Humans Services, which is in charge of Medicare data, has been contacted for comment.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-07-18/my-health-record-opt-out-confusion/10000008?pfmredir=m...

15 REPLIES 15

Re: MY HEALTH ONLINE 😱

Thanks for raising this @Former-Member There's certainly been lots of discussion around My Health Record in the last few days. While I can really hear that for you, this isn't something you'll make use of, for some people this will be a step forward in providing consistency of care across health professionals. It's so important for everyone to weigh up the pro's and con's in order to make an informed decision about what might work well for them. This resource does well at explaining My Health Record and exploring both sides of the issue. It's specific to the sex work industry however has some useful information relevent to people in their decision making. Interested to hear the diverse perspectives from around the community 🌳

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks for responding @Margot,
One thing with doctors also is that the often just believe whatever patients say about their history, without evidience, tjen recording these things on Health History. I've observed this on my work in healthcare plus my own experience. I've gone to great lengths to keep copies of x-ray results etc but many are not interested viewing it. I could say anything.

You've been so diligent in doing what you can to be proactive in your health care @Former-Member. Your insider knowledge has no doubt shaped your approach. And that's quite true too, the patient-doctor relationship is grounded in that element of trust. Without that, it's hard for a patient to be open about their experience, and it's difficult for doctors to provide the best, most appropriate, treatment. I wonder what might be able to be done to improve trust in that relationship?

Former-Member
Not applicable

"improving trust" hmm... perhaps there's too much trust really. If only the o line health summary was flawless - it would serve well. Eadier & accurate, but it won't be

I have opted out,online, It's not what the Govt. will do with the info now ,it's what they will do with it later down the line. Give the Govt. an inch and it will take a mile. I wouldn't trust the Govt. as far as I could throw them. Bob Hawke tried to bring in the Australia card in the 80tys something along the same line as this ,it failed, because the Australian people didn't want it. The Govt. are being a bit more sneaky this time. BE CAUTIOUS. If you opt out now you can always get in later, but if you opt in now, you can't opt out later.

I certainly don't want everyone knowing my private health information, especially as I hope to once again work in the health sphere one day (mental health). I just tried opting out online and was told it was unsuccessful as I already have a health record. Most annoyed about this! I however, after a few more clicks and investigating, now do not have a health record any longer. Phew! 

Thank you @Former-Member for bringing this to attention. I can see the pros for some people being involved, but for me, I can foresee heavy stigma being thrust upon in future employment endeavours.

Former-Member
Not applicable

My sentiments exactly Queenie, glad you sorted yours out. How? Can you post a link? I'll bet doctors and polititians won't have their private health record on the public arena lol.

I had no idea about this and really appreciate that I do now and that I was able to make an informed decision about what I think is best for myself and my family in terms of this one.

I opted out a moment ago by using this link @Former-Member. It took only a couple of minutes, and I used my drivers licence and Medicare numbers to do it. I had no trouble opting out for myself, but couldn't opt out on behalf of my children as I kept getting errors. I'll have to call them and will use the helpline number which is at the end of that link if you're interested lapses. 

I also wanted to add that it says on the website "If you miss the deadline of 15 October 2018 and a record is created, you will be able to cancel it" and also that if you have a My Health Record, you can cancel it at any time ☺
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us