Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

nashy
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // What online peer support looks like // Tues 16th July, 7pm-9pm AEST

Topic Tuesday_ Carers .png

Peer support occurs when people provide knowledge, experience, emotional, social or practical help to each other. It is the core function of our online community here at SANE Forums! We want to start having more conversations about it with each other to make sure we all have the skills to support each other!

The topics we are going to cover are:

- community values

- safe spaces

- communication (open ended questions; reflective listening & affirmations)

- empathy

- holding space

See you here Tuesday night!

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

127 REPLIES 127

Re: Topic Tuesday // What online peer support looks like // Tues 16th July, 7pm-9pm AEST

Hi @Former-Member, @Appleblossom , @Everan , @Former-Member , @Hope4me , @eth , @Shaz51 , @Gryffindor , @Adge , @Razzle , @BlueBay , @CheerBear , @Snowie , @outlander , @Teej , @Flying_Hams 

Thanks for your interest in tomorrow night's discussion, in preparation for the chat, we'd love for everyone to have a watch of this - Brene Brown on Empathy:

See you tomorrow night!

Re: Topic Tuesday // What online peer support looks like // Tues 16th July, 7pm-9pm AEST

@s-jayThat Empathy video was very good - it made some very good points.

Adge

Thanks everyone for joining in on Tonight’s TT “What Online Peer Support Looks Like” and a special warm welcome to those who wanted a reminder of tonight's event 🙂

@Determined  @Caroline1 @Former-Member @Appleblossom @Everan @Hope4me @CheerBear @Snowie @outlander @Flying_Hams @Teej @eth @Shaz51 @Gryffindor @Adge @Razzle @BlueBay 

This is such an important discussion that the team have decided tonight’s forum will be part one of this topic area! Later in the year we will delve into part two so if you get any decent insight from the chat here tonight, be sure to keep an eye out for the next discussion around online peer support.

Whilst we wait a couple of minutes for everyone to log on I would like to leave a quote here that @CheerBear  shared earlier in the week from Intentional Peer Support.

Peer Support is “…about how we know, how we create new ‘knowing’ through dialogue, and about how we as human beings interrelate by beginning to practice the art of connection – with ourselves, the people in our lives, and the people on the planet we may think we have nothing in common with.... In other words, it is not another practice that presumes to have the answers but instead, it aims to generate good questions.”

First question up soon!...

hello @nashy , @s-jay , @Adge Smiley Very Happy

Hi @nashy @Shaz51 @Adge 

Welcome @Shaz51 @BlueBay @Adge  Will be kicking off in a moment 🙂 

Hi everyone, I just popped in to have a looksee. I realised I can arrange the posts from "newest to oldest" under "options" which might be helpful to others 🙂

Just tagging here. Hopefully will be able to pop in.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us