Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Managing side effects of medication // Tues. 17 Apr. 7pm - 9pm AEST

LE Topic Tuesday banner.jpg

During this Topic Tuesday we will be tackling managing some of the side effects that medication cause.

We will be sharing the side effects that impact day to day lives and how you manage these and helpful tips and tricks you have found to get through a side effect. 

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Like' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

188 REPLIES 188

Re: Topic Tuesday // Managing side effects of medication // Tues. 17 Apr. 7pm - 9pm AEST

Hi  @greenpea @Liss23 @Livnon @Jojo2 @OwlFanatic @JoJo2010 @curioushuman @FarmersWife @Bonita @Former-Member @mrsboots @XxSmileyxX @Sarah6 @AMAC @AFaye @BlueBay @HarleyQ @Blackwittch @Teej @Former-Member @MadChaos @Shaz51 @Amy44 @Zoe7 @CheerBear @Mazarita @Former-Member @chleb @Former-Member @Queenie @Snowie @frog and welcome!

Tonight’s Topic Tuesday may be a bit popular, so I just wanted to reiterate how the night runs. I will be raising some questions for you all to consider. For each question there will be around 10 minutes for people to respond to the relevant question.  

As a reminder, medication can be a tricky topic to discuss. Please respect the guidelines when participating tonight and:

• Do not mention names & dosages of specific medication, instead please refer to families of medications (eg: anti-psychotics, antidepressants, mood stabilisers, sleeping pills etc)
  • Do not offer medical advice –it is important to consult a doctor for further guidance if you are struggling with side effects.
  • Respect that everyone’s experience with medication is different and unique, this is not an opportunity to push pro or anti medication agendas.

If any posts are removed, you will receive an email with information on why and how you can edit it. As you can appreciate, it might be quite busy in here tonight, so apologies in advance if it takes a little while for someone to email you.

Finally, please be aware that this is a facilitated peer discussion on strategies for your own experiences and to hear about how others have managed. I am not a medical practitioner and if any medical advice is needed you must seek support from your MH professional. If you find this topic triggers you at any point please take care to take a break from the screen, engage in self care and/or call our helpline.   

Okay, with all that said, let’s start off with our first question!

What are some of the side effects of your medication that you have experienced or may be experiencing?

Re: Topic Tuesday // Managing side effects of medication // Tues. 17 Apr. 7pm - 9pm AEST

Hi everyone

Terrible anxiety which is making me unable to function

Funny head, weight gain. I'm just coming a meds now and I'm feeling a little better in the head but the withdrawals are hard atm

loss of libido, and nausea

Hello @Lauz

my husband is on

anti-psychotics, antidepressants, mood stabilisers, sleeping pills 

and is experiencing weight gain

, memory loss

, dizzyness ,

tired

and breast hardness

Anxiety that is very overwhelming can be hard to manage, hopefully you get some good insights tonight @Bonita hi @Jojo2 - withdrawals would be hard to deal with as well. 

Hi!!!! 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us